Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-16-2010, 07:04 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Question Dealing With Lots of Aiptasia

So tonight while looking at my tank I found a bunch of little white looking things with tentacles growing on my LR. After research I am sad to say that I was right and I believe they are Aiptasia.

The tank is a brand new JBJ 28G that has only had LR in it since Saturday. I bought 31 lbs. of cured live rock from a LFS and put it in my tank Saturday night.

This video shows one piece of my rock that has a few of them growing on it.
So I know that I can treat this chemically by injecting products around them to kill them but they are very small and there are Tons of them on my rock. I don’t know if I could even find all of them to kill.

Second I know peppermint shrimp can sometimes eat small Aiptasia and that would work great but I have not even finished my nitrogen cycle yet so the shrimp will not work right now.

So will I just have to try to find all of them to inject or is there any better way out there? Any ideas at all are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and help

P.S. I don't know why two videos show up but they are both the same thing.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

You can keep injecting them. I had the same problem a few years back and that got rid of them. Shouldn't be hard to find them cuz if I'm not mistaken they like light. I know you probably have hundreds of them but you can "crop dust" them. They're hungry little monsters and will grab it.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:29 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

since there is nothing growing on your rock you could scrub them...this may not get rid of them completely but if you keep their size down until your cycle is up you can get some pepermints to finish the job
Old 03-17-2010, 01:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kms907 View Post
since there is nothing growing on your rock you could scrub them...this may not get rid of them completely but if you keep their size down until your cycle is up you can get some pepermints to finish the job

Thatís a good idea, I just don't think trying to spot treat all of these will work that great mainly because I could not find all of them.
Old 03-17-2010, 01:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

If you are going to try and scrub them do not do it in the tank. they will spred like wild fire if you do. I am guessing there is nothing in the tank right now since you are cycling. I would either crop dust them or pull the rocks out that have it and do what you want to do then rinse them off really well and then put it back in the tank.
Old 03-17-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Peppermint Shrimp and Copperband Butterfly's which are used by people to control Aiptasia are really not the best idea. It is much better to just used kalkwasser in a syringe and squirt a small amount on to the oral disk. This is cheaper and guaranteed. Peppermints and Copperbands are hit and miss, some eat them others don't. Peppermints in general don't even glance at the large ones.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:22 AM   #7

Well I have like literally 20+ small ones that I can see, so I donít know how well finding each one to squirt a paste on will work. Is that the only way to chemically treat them if nothing else is in the tank?
Old 03-17-2010, 04:31 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion

Here is my .02 cents on what has and hasn't been said already.
Don't scrape the rock, like yetee said, you will be spreading them all over. I didn't know crop dusting them would work, to me that would make a mess and wouldn't kill off the big ones. I would get some type of Joes Juice or AiptasiaX etc and inject which ever ones I saw. Then when the tank is cycled I would get a bunch of peppermint shrimp depending on your tank size. The peppermint shrimp may be hit or miss, so thats why you get a bunch of them.....this way your odds increase on getting some that do eat it. However, they do typically only eat the small aiptasia, so inject the big ones. I have either 5 or 6 peppermint shrimp in my 180-gallon.
The only time I was truly Aiptasia Free was when I had a Copperband. However, even though he was eating Mysis and bloodworms he still died after about 5-months. For this reason I would not recommend a Copperband. But for getting rid of every single Aiptasia, he was awesome. I never did see him eat one but all the aiptasia disappeared after adding him.
If you are not going to have coral then there are other much hardier and more of a sure thing to eat aiptasia butterflys out there. For instance a Racoon Butterfly. If you are going to be FOWLR then dont even sweat it until the cycle is over then add a Raccoon Butterfly and he will eat them all and keep the tank aiptasia free and you won't need peppermint shrimp either.
BUT, having coral is lots of fun, so be certain you don't want a reef tank before adding a Racoon because I hear they are very hard to catch.
EDIT- I just realized this is in the "REEF" Forum and not the "FOWLR" Forum. Forget what I said about adding a racoon... I'm going to bed now. Good night.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:41 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice ryshark.

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 05:56 AM   #10

Haha, well the plan right now is to have fish and a CUC for a while, until I get the feel of SW then maybe add some beginner corals later. So do all butterflyfish eat Aiptasia? I have only heard of coperbands eating them but then again I have not read much about butterflies. Could I keep fish and invertebrates with a Raccoon Butterfly, just no corals, or do they attack inverts as well?

Tags
aiptasia

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com