Dealing with micro bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've got a 180G - dual built-in overflows, to a 30G sump (small, I know). The overflows drain into 2 sock filters, into a section where an Aqua EV-180 feeds from and returns to (it's outside of the sump).

I have standard bubble trap baffles - 1" apart, and I've added foam screens to the bulkhead strainers that go to 2 pcx-40 return pumps, but I'm getting a good deal of micro-bubbles from the return. Not a huge amount, but just enough to cloud the water a bit.

I have enough water flow from the returns and two 650GPH Koralia pumps that the tiny bubbles can't just float to the surface and pop.

Any suggests for dealing with microbubbles returning from a sump? Do I need a finer foam mesh over my bulkhead strainers? I don't want to restrict the flow to the pumps in any way.

Maybe two more bubble trap bulkheads? A bigger sump might be the answer, since I'm pushing around 1200GPH flow through it, but I'd like to find a solution without going that route.

If I follow you, you have 2 PCX-40's (almost 2400 ghp) flowing thru a 30g sump? If that's the case, I think you need to throttle back on those pumps. The microbubbles don't have a chance to dissapate because they are moving too fast thru the sump.

If you have any baffles installed you can use a foam sponge/block to trap any bubbles before they hit your returns; otherwise, you can install adjustable baffles to help slow the flow and limit microbubbles.

39 gallons. Sorry. Not that that's a huge difference.

But understand that these are pumping up about 14" to the floor above the sump. So overall flow is much less than if the sump was under the tank (I don't think the overflows could keep up with that).

Scoot said:
I have standard bubble trap baffles - 1" apart,
How are they arranged? FWIW I had to add an "under" baffle right before my return pump to prevent water from spilling into the return chamber. I also rounded the top edge of the baffle in front of it to get smoother flow going over. I feel for you, microbubbles can be very annoying.
I've got a 180G - dual built-in overflows, to a 30G sump (small, I know)...A bigger sump might be the answer, since I'm pushing around 1200GPH flow through it
I think you may be right. I have about 600 gph going through a 20gal w/ no restriction on my return pump, and I have to throttle it back to about 500 gph or I get microbubbles in the main. HTH

Interesting. I wonder if a baffle allowing water to flow under it (if that's what you mean) would help... it wouldn't affect the amount of water, but it would add another place bubbles would have to drop to get past.

Rounding the edges of the baffles is a great idea too.

Most of mine seem to be coming from my skimmer.

I'm running a Mag 9.5 on an EV-180 - the "recommended" (by Aqua) pump to overdrive the unit. I wonder if I need to drain the skimmer output into some sort of bubble box... (without restricting output of course). Maybe letting it drop down onto a piece of foam...

MT79 said:
FWIW I had to add an "under" baffle right before my return pump to prevent water from spilling into the return chamber.

This is the way mine is also. Seems to create less bubbles from pouring over the top.

Great ideas, thanks all. I'll try adding a 4th baffle with an under flow.

I've eliminated most of the bubbles by using only one return pump. Seems like a lot of what I was seeing too wasn't microbubbles at all, but tiny particles. Been running a vortex filter, and that seems to be helping quite a bit. I had to seal the intake lines on the vortex with silicone, because the pump kept slowly getting air in it. Once I did that, it's been running continuously for 2 days now, and the water is looking pretty good.

I too have tiny particles that look like bubbles. I run a cannister filter and a skimmer. Also have a 40g sump for a 120g tank. How can I get rid of them.

Also, Scoot, not to change the subject but is your skimmer producing lots of skimmate or was it hard dialing it in?

I have no idea what you're talking about because I only have a 20 G. However....I had major micro bubble issues, and a marine sock on the return pump took care of it. Every couple of days I have to rinse it pretty good, otherwise the flow slows down considerably.
Don't know if that helps, but I figured I'd put in my 2 cents :)

One thing I am going to do is check my pvc joints. I will wither smear some silicone on them or a little PVC glue. I think I might have some air entering the plumping at some point.

Back
Top Bottom