Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2004, 12:29 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
Decently hardy anemone?

Looking to place an order when I find a day that will be warm around here from liveaquaria. I think I would like to try and anemone, tank has been up a little over 8 months I think and I have close to 200lbs of LR, everything has been doing great lately so I think I'm in good condition? Any recommendations or should I still just wait a while yet. BTW I have 2 Perc clowns, I've read that some anemones will acclimate to aquarium life better if they have a hosting clown(s).

BTW, I've been reading on these and it says a lot of them can sting/damage corals, how do you avoid this since the anemone will just wander until its satisified with it's location.

Old 01-12-2004, 04:55 AM   #2
cj10488

Quote:
I've been reading on these and it says a lot of them can sting/damage corals, how do you avoid this since the anemone will just wander until its satisified with it's location.
Read read read.. Find out alot of information out about the particular anemone and place it in the place most suitable for it.. If you read and research enough it should not move from where you place it..

Quote:
Any recommendations or should I still just wait a while yet
That all depends on the Tank.. Are all the levels stable and not fluctuate at all? do you have 0 nitrates? Are you willing to put the work in needed for an anemone?

Quote:
BTW I have 2 Perc clowns, I've read that some anemones will acclimate to aquarium life better if they have a hosting clown(s).
Well the natural anemone for these would be a Carpet Anemone as well as a few others.. Its kinda late right now and I cant really think.. The S. Haddoni is probably the hardiest carpet anemone found.. Bubble Tips are hardy as well.. Liveaquaria offers a Generic Carpet Anemone with a 10day Gaurentee.. That would be my choice if you were going to take the plunge.. I would read for a few months everything about the anemone that you choose prior to getting one..
Quote:
I've read that some anemones will acclimate to aquarium life better if they have a hosting clown(s).
This is supposed to be true..

Quote:
how do you avoid this since the anemone will just wander until its satisified with it's location.
I would just devote every bit of time that you can after acclimating it and placing it in the tank to watch it until it attaches to its spot of choice.. If you watch it and it moves towards one of your corals move the coral not the anemone.. Once the Anemone is in your tank try to never touch it again..

HTH,
James
Old 01-12-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been reading as much as I can, maybe I'll try and pick up a book just on anemones. So, they will sting/kill corals if they come across them? I'm a little nervous about this yet....which probably means I'm not ready yet. Levels are stable and I have no problem devoting enough time, just afraid it's gonna kill a coral while I"m sleeping or something
Old 01-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://www.garf.org/trever/anem/anenome.html

I found this posted in another forum. Good info. Anyone thinking of getting an anemone should read this first.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know they are very difficult to keep but I thougth there were people on here that have been successfull in doing so? I'll just hold of for this order and do more research, don't want to get one and just wind up killing it, or it killing corals in my tank.

James, can you recommend a particular book that was helpful in your research, or did you use the web for all your info?
Old 01-12-2004, 11:48 AM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj10488
Quote:
I've read that some anemones will acclimate to aquarium life better if they have a hosting clown(s).
This is supposed to be true..
That is actually not true. The anemone will actually acclimate best depending on the condition of the tank parameters and lighting provided. Anemones will fair the same if not better without a host. In the wild many hosting anemone's are found without "tenants".

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-12-2004, 02:12 PM   #7
cj10488

Quote:
James, can you recommend a particular book that was helpful in your research, or did you use the web for all your info?
There is a 30 something page that is linked on RC under Anemoes/Clownfish forum.. That is a good article to start with.. Also Just do a search on google for the type of Anemone you wanted and read read read. you will find success stories ect.. try and find how ppl are keeping them and what is common for them to do..

HTH<
James
Old 01-12-2004, 02:59 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds good, from what I've been reading I think I'll stick with a bubble tip, they seem be decdently hardy. I want one real bad when I place my order but I don't want to rush into it if it will harm my tank or die.

Tags
anemone, hardy

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com