Deciding to take the risk!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, after a lot of research about the pros and cons, I decided to go with a cucumber. I understand that if stressed or poor water quality that it may posoin tank. This guy was just to amazing to pass up and think that I could get a go of it and let it thrive. Ill' post a pic once I get him in the tank (neon green, neon yellow, and neon pink with tetacles), he was just to amazing not to get. The best part about him was that he was under 20 bucks. The guy at the lfs, whom which I trust and have had success weith him before) told me that he is reef safe and isn't a threat toanyone else in my tank (info upto date). I know that inputs are the really own concern with cucumbers. I just want to make sure thaat this info is correct and if anyone has ctips on cucumber as I am new to them. I'll have in pic in like 20 minutes. Here is a pic for ya................TIA...................

Attachments

• img_1562_142.jpg
    img_1562_142.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 29
My lfs gets them in once or twice a year and so far I've resisted :lol: I personally wouldn't attempt one in anything less then a 100 gal tank from all the horror stories I've read about them wiping out smaller tanks.

Since you have already researched it I assume you have read this article but I'll link it just in case.

Best of luck to you.

I looked at that article that you had pointed out and it said that atleast that species is one of the more durable cucumbers. After a day/night, all he does is hang out at the top of the tank and take in the waves, he doesnt seem stressed and nobody is bothering him. I know that hes a filter feeder, so would oclypeeze be a good source of food? I'll keep an eye out, but things seem to be going well for the first day. Does anyone else have any tips about keeping these guys happy. Also, assuming the worst, if this guy does poison the tank should I setup up my nano cube for removal of other animals in an emergency?

"Post scriptum, almost: Yes, even your humble narrator has had (or did they have me?) & been had by Sea Cucumbers. They happily seem to be the last to die from poisoning their everyone else, quickly regenerating eviscerated organs in anticipation of the next tank full. Sigh."

LOL! I like this quote from the posted article.

You guys are really discouraging me hear and questioning if I should keep him. If water quality is good and has no sudden changes, should I be alright? Right now I love my setup (fish,inverts,corals) and dont want to jepoardize that for anything. Should I return him? My water quality has been stable for quite some time now with cyano on the occassion. Hes just so beautiful, it would be a shame to give him back.

Squado said:
I looked at that article that you had pointed out and it said that atleast that species is one of the more durable cucumbers.
From the photo you provided it looks like the typical Sea Apple Cucumbers (Pseudocolchirus violaceus or Paracucumaria ) I've seen at my lfs and they are the most toxic/dangerous. I wouldn't risk it considering even spawning eggs can wipe out a tank.

Its not just ware quality that can stress it. If it gets stung or picked at by other inhabitants it can get stressed too. Just keep an eye on it. Then again...if it dies in the middle of the night theres not gunna be much you can do especially in a 30gal tank.

If you feel comfortable with your tank's quality and upkeep, then you should be good. We were just pointing out that it is crucial to keep a careful eye on your tank.

I had one several yrs ago but he was the tiger cucumber. He lived about a yr and then just disapeared. I guess I was just lucky.

From what I've read, this seems to be one of the more safe cucumbers to own. It generally hangs out in one place on the glass (which it has for two days now) and nothing even goes near it. Not to sound like an expert, but a lot of the material ive read on these state that they are not sea apples and are not as toxic as most aquarists believe them to be (although caution is always available). Hopefully everything I;Ive read is correct, and im not ready for another "learning experience".

Oh by the way, after all the reading ive done I still cant find anything that shows how to tell if it is stressed. For those of you who know cucumbers, how do you know if it is stressed? TIA

When its spewing out junk into your tank :p

Im not sure about signs of stress before it fouls the tank up, but Im sure someone here can shed some light.

I have had a sea apple in a hundred gallon tank for a little over two years now. Every now and then it will start to look unhappy and a tad shrivelly and I watch it VERY closely. I don't really know what to say except you will notice a difference.

From what I remember off hand, Pentacta anceps is what you have. This is not Pseudocolochiris, a Sea Apple. Pentacta, ime, spend majority of their time on the live rock, filter feeding. You WILL have to feed regularly with phyto or similar products; otherwise, they will continue to shrivel until there is no more. Pump intakes and aggressive tankmates could be a cause for concern, but they are not as sensitive as other species of sea cucumbers. They can be a beautiful addition if you give them the care they need (water quality and food) as in any other animal you house.

Thanks for the confidence, I was a little nervous there, thats what I thought I read and just needed to get some back up.

Back
Top Bottom