Decorator Crab Diet?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

frenchie8787

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a compatibility question. I have a decorator crab that I see very rarely. However I have been losing hermits, snails and even 7 green Chromis recently and have found no evidence (body parts). My water quality is excellent and my larger fish are OK. My wife told me over the weekend she saw the decorator crab crawling all over some of the turbo & margarita snails, like it was attacking them. I did not see it my self, but my question is “Is the decorator crab aggressive and can it be the culprit of my recent substantial losses of small fish, snails and crabs?” “If not any ideas as to the losses?” “If so, is there any solution other than removing the crab?” “If not, what is the best way to find and capture it so I can remove it from the tank?”

Don't know, but since your profile says you wanna go reef. I consider getting him out. I'd think his decorations will include some of your reef eventually.

Hey, when in doubt - pull him out.

Decorators are not reef friendly. They decorate not only to protect themselves from predators, but to act as camo so they can be better predators.

no sign of the fish at all?

sounds pretty serious. Perhaps a Mantis is involved. do you hear clicking at night?

Thanks, I appreciatet the advice. Any advice on how to get him out without removing and displacing all my live rock?

frenchie

No, I have not heard and clicking. I will not rule out a mantis, but I feel fairly confident that one is not involved.

Thanks, it definatley gives me another thing to think about and be on the look out for.

frenchie

Back
Top Bottom