Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Following. I actually just posted a similar thread about a month ago with no results : / I found my emerald crab trying to "shake" her way into my circulation pump to find out she was dropping eggs and got chopped up I do have another crab in the tank though which is a ruby so I'm very curious to see if any eggs make it and if they are hybrids or something lol

Old 09-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hopefully some made it out ok apparently crabs can hold back on fertilisation a long time after mating cause I've had my crab ( my only crab ) 6 months now so she's been waiting all that time and she's nearly there she's ready to go any day now it's amazing really

Old 09-12-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's cool, I hope you see some offspring. A couple of my emeralds were mating last week and so I googled it and read getting any offspring is highly unlikely. Hopefully decorater crabs are more successful.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:34 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crab eggs fertilize outside the female. Most species actually disperse the eggs and sperm at the same time and fertilization occurs at sea. Most fish are the same way. That means the eggs will develop whether a make is around or not. They just won't fertilize.
Old 09-13-2012, 04:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

There definitely fertilised they have there little eye now and there's no way some one in the tank done it cause she's the only crab, plus its been six months sine i got her so she had to have done it when she was in the shop but theres no way her eggs take 6 months to grow,I'll try when the time comes to take the baby's out but the cave were she lives she's the only one who fits in there and it's got lots of holes and there's plenty of hiding space so I'm hoping that helps too and I've only got 4 fish 70 gallon tank so there's loads a of space so they can get away from each other (: just don't no what I'm gonna do with a load of baby decorator crabs I'll have no corals left they'll all be wearing them.

There's a pic of the caves I made in my tank she hangs out in the furthest right one that looks like have a circle, and there's smaller caves and hidy holes within the bigger looking rocks so hopefully they have a fighting chance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4086266839.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	164.3 KB
ID:	118270   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2956195730.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	118271  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2920086801.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	118272  

Tags
crab, deco, decor

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com