Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-18-2017, 01:24 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

It calibrates itself every test, but they do sell kits to double check the readings for accuracy. I might look into getting one of those.

I do know my LFS uses salifert, so I think that's gonna be my first stop.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:53 PM   #12
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Well Iíd stick with it before you spend the money and back off with the amount of gfo.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:31 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Decreasing phosphates

In all these steps I suggest moving slowly and reduce P4 in small increments over time.
Rule number one- no rapid changes of anything.

I humbly suggest;

Step one
Confirm the Hanna readings. Worst thing you can do is launch on bad data.

Step 2
In a small system like this, try a different salt mix, confirm RO/DI is working and increase water exchanges. Donít starve the fish, increase filtration and exchanges.

Step 3
GFO is effective in maintaining low P4 but can have difficulty reducing it quickly, this is a safety advantage usually. Think of it as a ďshock absorber.Ē

Step 4
This is a more advanced way of reductions, but has to be done right every time. I have a 27 year old 300 gal. reef. Lots of fish and coral and I feed abundantly. I use a ATS and the Triton method with minimal water exchanges. I run GFO to maintain low P4, but bi-weekly I do a Lanthanum Chloride dose. Making a 0.02ppm reduction over four hours. I can repeat daily to hit my target of 0.05ppm. But never more than 0.02ppm in 24 hours. You can read about it on my thread. I take great care in itís use, but it is the most effective ďcalibratedĒ way to remove phosphates Iíve ever seen. Makes your GFO last a long time.

But in your system you should be able to remove these nutrients with simple water exchanges.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Process is working. I feed twice a day and have a lot of fish. P4 is .07. Zero nitrogen.
Old 03-31-2018, 06:18 PM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

Great to hear. Still using the masstick?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I just ordered the Sea Kleer .

I like the idea of acquiring my target quicker and with some control while maintaining levels with GFO.
I hope to master this as I haven't got my PO4 below .1 since moving tank.
I don't want to starve my fish and read a great article last night that along with Gregs advice and method gives me hope I will have my PO4 in control soon enough .
I read this article last night and am convinced between that info and this thread I should have no problem. Probably start next weekend.. I just saw Lanthium reactors...

Greg where do add the dose and how do you remove the flocculant ?
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 05:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Decreasing phosphates

I think I mentioned it earlier, in case I didnít;

I calculate how many drops of LC I need to lower P4 only 0.04ppm in my 500 gallon system, in any 48 hours (2 days) so if I need to lower 0.12ppm I do it over 6 days. This is ultra cautious to not freak the corals out.

Dropping P4 too fast and lack of focculant control is where it goes bad for people and their livestock.

I add the drops to 500ml of Ro water and add that to a feeding bag (IV bag) and drip the solution into the intake of my skimmer over about a hour. That is a treatment that will lower P4 by 0.04ppm each time itís done. The gradual reaction happens slowly in the skimmer, where maximum mixing happens fast enough to produce focculant slowly enough that it is all grabbed by the skimmer.

Doing this very slowly has worked very well. It repeats exactly.

Disclaimer...this is the most effective and dangerous way to control Phosphates in a reef tank. But if precautions are taken I think you can vastly improve the safety. And good heavens itís cheap.

Tags
ate, phosphate, phosphates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com