Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Decreasing phosphates

I need some advice on dropping phosphates. I seem to be stuck at minimum 0.13 and can't seem to get it any lower, I use a new Hannah checker. My nitrates have measured at 0ppm for the last 2 weeks using a red sea nitrate kit.

My tank: 40g breeder with 2 clowns, 1 small fairy wrasse, and 1 smallish engineer goby at about 6" long. I feed a small amount of frozen food daily. 1 cube of mysis will last 4 - 5 days.

I run Gfo, activated carbon, a 110g reef octopus protein skimmer, and a refugium growing chaeto and grape caulerpa. I have an auto top off with 1tbsp of kalk per 5 gallons. My filters on my rodi unit are approx 1 month old.

Until the last week I was getting quite a bit of cyano growth. I have gotten that under control and now it's switched to hair and bubble algae.

Dies anyone have any suggestions to decrease phosphates just a little bit more?

Old 11-22-2017, 07:40 PM   #2
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

How long have you been running gfo and have you been increasing the amount gfo, keeping it at a low tumble of course.

Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 10:47 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

how often do you trim your macro , the reason I ask macro die off could be just putting the phosphates back into the water . I trim back between a quarter inch to a half inch every week this helps them rejuvenate .

as the macros decompose over time there just putting the phosphates back into the water , this is why trimming is important the grape really don't work as well as some thin leafy macros exorbing nutrients . like Caulerpa Mexicana and similar types of macros , these type macros grow fast and needs constant trimming rejuvenating promoting new growth .

I just did my yearly cleaning on my sump god if you only saw all the decomposed macros that built up over time yes I found my phosphate problems . after cleaning my sump I made a vow every 3 months the sump gets a cleaning . now I also made 2 inch high shelves out of egg crate to raise the pumps and skimmer . so it's easier to siphon out the crude underneath everything in the sump before it builds.

this page should help give you a little help and understanding of most macro's marineplantbook
Old 11-24-2017, 06:33 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Are you rinsing your foods? Many foods introduce PO4 to tanks?
Some go farther then GFO and use Lanthanum Chloride [sea clear PO4 remover for spas !]
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...sVmayLXSM8W6Ua
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 01:52 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

What is your water source? Are you running ro/di unit or tap? It sounds like this may be your problem especially that you have a refugium and running gfo.

Tags
ate, phosphate, phosphates

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com