Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Deep Sand Bed?

Hey, so like I've said before, I will be starting up my first saltwater aquarium. It will be a mixed reef tank and I want to try to make mistakes to a minimum . There has been a lot of debate on deep sand beds or shallow sand beds so I am confused on what to believe since I am new and all So I have some basic background info about this topic, but I want to know if it will be the right thing for the system I am setting up. I will add beneficial worms and snails to the system to help, but I won't be getting LR so I will probably be missing on other beneficial creatures? Anyway, any feedback or suggestions or info on this would be great ! I don't want my sand getting black and releasing toxins into the water, killing all the life. Rather do this the right way!

Old 03-29-2012, 11:48 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

Does anyone have any input? I'm also wondering which would be a better choice...deep sand bed in the refugium or just rock. I'm leaning towards sand, but I will definitely consider any suggestions. Thanks

Old 03-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousclam120 View Post
but I won't be getting LR
what do you plan to stock with? I've seen a pretty neat thread with a sunken battleship
Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I would stock it with chaetomorpha-macro algae. Lots of worms and snails that sift through the sand...like bristle worms and such. Amphipods and Copepods would be directly added. What do you think?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

are we talking just about your refugium, or the whole tank? I think you're probably going to want some LR in the display, the refugium is up to you. If you plan it big enough, go with a DSB (very fine), rubble rock, and chaeto. Leave room for protein skimmer, phosban/bio media reactor, and heater and you're good to go. Its not often the people put algae in the display tank, i've heard of some very rare micro algae that sells for tons of $, but never seen it.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Oh i was talking about the refugium for the time being. Switching gears now! I'm not putting macro-algae in the display...probably a potential tang or herbivore would eat it...anyway. I'm not using LR shocker! I have already bought 100 lbs of dry pukani rock. I will probably only use 50-70 lbs because I have so much! I will be adding ammonia and bacteria to start the cycle. The reason I didn't want to get LR is because its really expensive for one! I would have to get 200 or 300 lbs of live rock (b/c most on the cheap side are small rocks that way a lot!) and they aren't as porous as I would like them to be (most just look man-made to me)...again there is a lot of nice LR, but I'm not willing to pay $500-1000 for just rock! :P Also, it would most likely have pests that I don't want to deal with or will damage my set-up. Dry rock is just a better alternative for me :P
Old 03-30-2012, 12:12 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

So saying that...would a deep (not live sand) bed be possible or....?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

If anyone has any suggestions...I definitely will take them in! Is it better to have a deep sand bed or could it be the death of a tank started by a rookie? Thanks :P
Old 03-31-2012, 01:09 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousclam120
If anyone has any suggestions...I definitely will take them in! Is it better to have a deep sand bed or could it be the death of a tank started by a rookie? Thanks :P
I have a deep sand bed in my BC 29 for what it's worth.

Attachment 86005

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

that beautiful..thank you for posting :P Did you add any organisms or did you have LR?

Tags
sand, sand bed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com