deep sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vsnsofadrgn

Aquarium Advice Addict
ive read all this info on deep sand beds and its benefits.... my question is this: i have about 1-2" and am wondering how to safely add more (ive got about 30 lbs now and would like to add more)... do i just use the pvc pipe technique to add more and at a limited interval (say 5-10 lbs at a time during water changes)??? TIA

Yes do the "PVC thing" but I would only put sand in 1/3 of the tank at a time. Give a week or two to let the bacteria "migrate" and then add to another part of the tank.

thank you, one more thing, ive got 30 lbs of hirocks coming should i do it before or after i add it to the tank?

I would just add it when you get it. If anything it will just give the bacteria a better "foot hold" prior to being covered with sand. One thing to consider is if you have sand sifting fish. You do not want a lot of sand under your rock as they can cause it to fall. Especially engineer gobies etc. Make sure you wash the rock good. It will make your water cloudy.

Back
Top Bottom