Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 12-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Catfaceskates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 123
Deep sand bed advice

I have just set up my 65 gal sw aquarium I have about 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand. I plan on adding 2 more inches of sand to this to make a dsb. Is this a good idea? Iv heard that the bacteria in the dsb can eliminate all nitrates in the water. Any help/advice on this subject would be of great help.Thanks
__________________

__________________
Catfaceskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfaceskates View Post
I have just set up my 65 gal sw aquarium I have about 2 inches of Fiji pink live sand. I plan on adding 2 more inches of sand to this to make a dsb. Is this a good idea? Iv heard that the bacteria in the dsb can eliminate all nitrates in the water. Any help/advice on this subject would be of great help.Thanks
I used dsb once and i wont do again my experience with it is after 3 years i decided to give it a lil stir well it released all the nutrients that were bound my nitrate got well over 100 coral died so on and so on if you go with dsb id reccommend some sand stirring inverts tongan nassarius snails by the dozens chaeto would be a better nutrient exporter imo
__________________

__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:27 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Catfaceskates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 123
That's horrible I'm sorry to hear that. But thanks for the info
__________________
Catfaceskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:46 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 637
Deep sand beds are to NEVER be stirred. They are designed to provide a low oxygen environment for bacteria that breakdown nitrates. They do work but should not be stirred. Some people swear by them.
__________________
mdaniel2882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:53 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdaniel2882 View Post
Deep sand beds are to NEVER be stirred. They are designed to provide a low oxygen environment for bacteria that breakdown nitrates. They do work but should not be stirred. Some people swear by them.
My dsb in my BC29 gets stirred by my pistol shrimp ALOT. He always moves to a different spot and digs and digs then my orange spotted goby goes in the tunnel and makes a home and the both just relax, until they get bored and start digging again.

Also have about 11 nassarius snails as well...

I didn't know that about NEVER being stirred up. Hope my tank will be ok. Been a year with no issues at all to report. Unless 4-5 inches of LS isn't considered a dsb?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:18 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 189
Personal preference. If you do have one do not stir it, let the little critters like the sand sifters do their thing.
We have about 75 lbs of sand in each tank.
__________________
Greenpillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Don't mean to hijack just wanna be clear. So... It's ok for the snails, sand stars, pistol shrimps etc to do there thing, just don't stir it up yourself correct or no?
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:48 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Convict2161 View Post
Don't mean to hijack just wanna be clear. So... It's ok for the snails, sand stars, pistol shrimps etc to do there thing, just don't stir it up yourself correct or no?
I would say it is a requirement to have a lot of sand sifters if you have a DSB.

There are two main thoughts here about deep sand beds. 1) if you have a deep sand bed you must have sifters like sand sifting star fish and sand snails to mix the sand slowly. 2) leave it all alone and never touch it or else you will kick off nasty crud.


After reading and reading and reading. 1 is better then 2. On that note 1 inch sand bed with a sump skimmer and a refugium some where would be even better
__________________
Greenpillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
danbstrong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenpillow View Post

I would say it is a requirement to have a lot of sand sifters if you have a DSB.

There are two main thoughts here about deep sand beds. 1) if you have a deep sand bed you must have sifters like sand sifting star fish and sand snails to mix the sand slowly. 2) leave it all alone and never touch it or else you will kick off nasty crud.

After reading and reading and reading. 1 is better then 2. On that note 1 inch sand bed with a sump skimmer and a refugium some where would be even better
I also have a pistol with pistol shrimp digging aggressively i doubt the dsb is functioning as a proper dsb for it to funtion it needs low oxygen and slowly stirred so yours probably dont contain much nutrient as the pistol keeps oxygenating and not allowing nutrient to build up so imo its more cosmetic than functional at this point
__________________
danbstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Convict2161's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 14,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbstrong View Post

I also have a pistol with pistol shrimp digging aggressively i doubt the dsb is functioning as a proper dsb for it to funtion it needs low oxygen and slowly stirred so yours probably dont contain much nutrient as the pistol keeps oxygenating and not allowing nutrient to build up so imo its more cosmetic than functional at this point
Ahhh... Ok I got it. I like the look so I guess it's good for me.
__________________

__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
advice, sand, sand bed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.