Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 10-11-2005, 01:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Deep sand Bed good bad? and Moving

I am new to reef keeping I just recently purchased a complete 72 gal system with 100lbs of live rock
1 yellow tank 1 clown fish 1 coral beauty 1 cleaner wrasse, and 1 white damsel fish
Please Submit any advice on Moving only about 40 min away

Also What is anyones oppinion on A deep sand bed vs. no sand bed the good and the bad please I need to decide on what to do before this comming weekend I heard that it can be a problome to have a deep sand bed??

Amanda H. Tupper
Tupper Metal Works
Earthgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
About.com has a good article on this very subject

Some more:

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 02:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Welcome to Aquarium Advice!

Those are good articles, we also have an article here for moving a freshwater tank. Very much the same principles.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
deep sand bed is a choice.. there are some good points expressed in the following discussion..

mojoreef/Mike gives the counter argument to DSB in this thread (I saved the link were he starts
discussing the disadvantages to DSB)
greenmaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2005, 04:55 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Please Submit any advice on Moving only about 40 min away
Moving any SW tank is a task since there are many factors involved. When you do move, you will have die-off, which is to be expected. I would use rubbermaid containers and collect as much water as possible. You will also want to collect the sand, which should be kept wet as well as any filter material you have. If you have any lr, you will want to keep that wet during the journey too.
The biggest thing I found when I moved was the ammonia went through the roof, and I only moved 5 miles away. The challenging thing is getting everything right before adding the livestock. You may need to do water changes as well.

I can honestly say if I had to do it again, I would want to start over. It was a daunting experience for me to say the least.

Good luck to you, and welcome to AA!

Salttanker is offline   Reply With Quote

moving, sand, sand bed

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com