Deep Sand Bed?? Or just sand bed???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Utradeshow

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Guys.. About 4mths ago I started a 75gal tank with CC as substrate, Well, it looks nasty and holding algea. I am changing to a sand bed, but I'm hearing conflicting things about to "Deep" or not to "Deep". The LFS says to go abot 1 to 1 1/2 inch sand bed???

I have 70lbs LR
wet dry filter
12x Circulation (Various Powereheads)
Remora Urchin Pro Skimmer

So do I really need the Benifits of a DSB?? I don't want the CRASH Later on

i'm facing the same decision as you except in a much smaller tank. I'm leaning toward only about an 1 - 1 1/2 inch bed because of lack of space in my 20 gallon. From what i've read a DSB has its benefits but only if done correctly. In my opinion there are much simpler and more attractive ways of lowering nitrates like a refugium.

yeah that CC when not vacumed often looks nasty, dont it! I started with CC about nine months ago, now I have a 3 to 4 inch base of LS.I dont use a UGF I think its just preferance, IMO, sand looks more natural to me, as far as cleaning I just brush off the top and clean the area where the sand and tank wall meets.benifits of a DSB?Who really knows?Too many facts and opinions on both sides, gave me a headache when reasearching, this is what I know about a DSB, My fish are healthy, my tank parameters are good(could be better) and I havent had to use a vacume since I changed.Do what you think :)

It is really up to you. The advantage of a DSB is it helps with removing nitrates. However, with enought LR you do not need it. Some say that a DSB can captue pockets of toxic gas that will eventually be released into your tank causing a rapid flucuation in water parameters. If you are worried about that, go with a 2 inch sand bed and bump up the LR to 130-150lbs. That should be enough to process your nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom