Deep Six Hydrometer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TriggerHappy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone had any experience using the deepsix hyrometer by Coralife? Is it more accurate than the ones that float on the top of the water. They are advertised to be more accurate than surface tests. Also, what do you guys use to clean your tanks, I know it's not windex cause of the ammonia hazard, so what else could u use to clean the glass? :roll: THX!

Yeah I used a deepsix until I bought my refractometer. According to the refrac it was off by .001 SG. Not too shabby for a $10 device.

As far as cleaning the outside, I just use a damp paper towel. I think there is "special" glass cleaner for aquariums, but water and paper works just fine.

I just bought one of those today. Seems like it's pretty nice. The guy at rms suggested it.

I have a Deep Six Hydrometer and I love it. It is pretty accurate compared to the other models out there. Plus it is nice because I have a lionfish so I don't have to worry if he thinks my fingers look good to eat. Also I just clean my glass with a washcloth and some warm tap water. The MagnaFloat Algae Scraper helps too sometimes with salt buildup streaks and stuff not to mention algae at its worst! Go ahead and buy the tank cleaners they have out there though if you want an awesome clean. My friend has some of that and it does make it look crystal clear, while mine has the occasional streak from missing a spot.

my deep six is right on.. I used both a floating hydrometer and the deep six.. Both results matched up perfectly everytime.. I have been tempted to get a refracto but with 2 being the same I figure how can 2 different hydrometers be the same if it was not what is was reading... BTW the floating hydrometers hurt worse when you step on them barefooted... I like my Deep Six and would recommend it for anyone but would suggest having a backup for hyposalinity as the deep six only goes to 1.010 and hypo needs to be 1.009... That is the reason why I had the floating one but unfortuntly my foot liked it better than I did.. BTW stepping on it caused my leg to go numb for an entire day... :wink:

HTH,
James

The only time I really clean my glass is when I accidently drip tank water on it from doing water changes or tests. The only thing I do is wipe it off with a towel or cloth and kinda give the whole tank a wipe down.....glass is crystal clear! :wink:

For Cleaning the outside glass on my aquarium i use a product called Safe & Easy Aquarium Cleaner.. It works great to clean the outside of the aquarium and is supposed to be safe if it accidently gets into the water.. Its made be Aquarium Pharmaceuticals. Cost is about $4.00 and most of my LFS carries it..

James

James, was your glass hydrometer a hydrometer/thermometer? That could have been mercury that made your leg numb. Heavy metal in the blood can do bad bad things man. You should look into that.

Billy,

Yes it was hydrometer/thermometer but the glas didnt break the skin.. Thank God.. However I think that some might have leeched thru the skin... My leg felt much better the next day... and all is good now.. Wanted to Say thanks for your concerns.. AS well Warn others Becareful were ya step that is one wierd feeling that I dont wanna feel again :)

James

Maybe that warning should be....Be careful where you put your hydrometer! The floor isn't the best place for em! :D hahahah....im just messin with ya :wink:

I must agree with ya... I was just doing some maintainance and it rolled onto the floor... Didnt realize it and bam stepped on the damn thing.. :D

James

Back
Top Bottom