Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic
defective heater killed peps.

I found my two peppermint shrimp lying on their back and opaque this afternoon. When I reached in to remove their lifeless bodies, I felt that the water was cool. I checked my heater and it had its indicator light on. When, I removed it, it was cold, The water temp was about 65 degrees. I usually try to keep it at 80 degrees. I looked at the heater that I had just got the week before, and I saw that the wire was dislocated and the circuit was not complete. I don't know how the indicator light was on, but I quickly replaced the heater, and all my other tank inhabitants (5 snails) seem to be fine.

P.S The first major cold snap of the season in Florida was two days ago.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.
seafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic
I had the opposite experiance with my heater boiling my peppermint shrimp. Good thing the pep did it's job and ate all the aiptasia before becoming a cocktail.

Paintballs look like bubble gum
14G starphire,150W MH+32W act03,AquaClear 150 HOB filter, 75W EboJager, IceProbe chiller, Remora skimmer, closed loop SCWD mag5, auto toper-offer.
klam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
Since what was left from the ship was opaque, are you sure that they didn't molt? I thought mine were dead the first time I found a molt. I hope that's the case with yours - keep looking around - they tend to hide right after a molt.

55 gal. reef. Coralife lunar lights 4 x 65, 120 lbs live rock. Remora skimmer, 3 power heads. 2 tank raise false percula,2 pajama cardinal,hermits, snails, Xenia, leathers, mushrooms, polyp frags, yellow sea cucumber, And last but not least - the miserable mantis.
stusclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2005, 08:11 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
when my peps molt thier is no mistaking them for dead shrimp
i have crabs is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eater, heater, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com