Define: Proper Maintenance

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evilbass

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just curious as to what everyone's definition of Proper Maintenance is...

I have a little survey I'm working on for myself, that have included 2 relatives and a few friends. Now I'm curious as to what the forum community says.

So, with that being said, define your definition of Proper Maintenance! :huh:

Last edited:
I guess my idea of proper maintenance would be inspecting your tank and inhabitants daily including temps and water levels. Wiping down glass (inside and out) every couple days along with top offs, feeding, check skimmer cup, and check filter sock and finally weekly testing,cleaning, and wc if needed...may have missed a few things :)

Proper maintenance for me means the following.
Daily Stuff:
-Mag float the glass
-Top off with RO/DI water
-Visual inspection
-Check Temperature
Weekly Stuff:
-20% water change
-Change filter sock
-Clean Skimmer cup
-Test Parameters
-Change Carbon/Phosban if needed
-Clean Powerheads if they need it
-Clean Skimmer pump if it needs it
-Clean Return pump if it needs it
Every 9-12 months:
-Replace my T5HO bulbs
-Replace my filters in my RO/DI unit
-Scrub down and clean all my mixing equipment

That about covers my routine.

Wow you guys must have some Hungary fish. No one mentioned feeding their tanks. Lol

Sqasnatch said:
Wow you guys must have some Hungary fish. No one mentioned feeding their tanks. Lol

There was only two lists provided and only one didn't mention feeding lol

Besides skimmer what kind of filter system do you all use. I have a trickle filter and was told by the group not to use it. So what do you use in a non drilled tank. Thanks all

I have an enclosed canister filter, 40lbs of Live Rock, and a skimmer.

PS... Is feeding really consider maintaining your tank? Or is feeding considered maintaining your fish? LOL

Other than stare at my tank, everyday I feed the the fish, check salinity, and top off the water.

Weekly water changes, feedings 2 or 3 times a week, and then of course maintaining the components like the skimmer, pumps, refugium..etc. That's all I do.
I have an auto top off and don't have a need to check salinity.

I was reading a post the other day, and someone had suggested siphoning the sand to help with some clean issues, yet, I have read that you shouldn't siphon the sand because it may release some toxic gasses and such into the tank....

Anyone?

On regards to siphoning sand, I recently did that as recommended by LFS. That was a huge mistake. My Nitrates went from 0 to 20 ppm. I am during huge water changes and I can't seem to drop them. So please learn from my mistake and leave your sand bed alone.

How deep is the sand bed in question. This info makes a big difference. I have barely an inch in my dt at the moment. This can be vacuumed if you like. I don't vacuum it however.

Back
Top Bottom