Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-18-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to LuxorCaw
Dehumidifer Water???

I was told that dehumidifer water was in fact RO water, is this true? And if it is, could I save it up and use it for my tank?

LuxorCaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 01:58 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
See what other people say....but to my limited knowledge...a dehumidifier is drawing the moisture from the air and depositing it into a bin. This water doesn't go through any of the stages that RO water does....to my knowledge

My current project underway
180 SW
2 overflows wet/dry ETSS skimmer Mag18 pump 2 Stealth Titanium heaters
Dog Face Puffer
Bamboo Cat Shark
Foxface Lo
Volitan Lion
and the almighty domino Damsel
the21kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:46 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
it is not RO water, it is distilled, so to speak. The moisture comes from the air and carrys with it everything that is in the air. Also, anything it passes over in your dehumidifier, which can very likely have a multitude of bacteria/molds in it. I would be highly suspicious of using it in my SW system. There's just too many unknowns with the water, and too much at risk.

Acronyms and Abbreviations
BillyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 05:43 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
As BillyZ points out the water from the dehumidifier is definatly NOT RO water. RO filters run water thru a Reverse Osmosis membrane filter that in effect blocks all particles larger than a water molicule (over simplification). As its been pointed out above a dehumidifer is basicly a reverse AC unit in that it pulls the mosture out of the air and it collects on condensing coils. As it collects it drops into the collection tub to be dumped. Dust in the air will wind up in this collection tub as well as other things again like mentioned above airborn bactera, mold, pollen, etc.

NOW with that said I know someone who did just what your thinking. He mounted a dehumifiyer unit above his sump (his sump was in the basement and his display tank above him on the main floor). The unit was setup to drain into his sump directly. he used this as his "topoff" device with the aid of a float switch and RO as backup for many months with little signs of negitive results. But there is the potental expecially if you have someone in the hosue who likes to go spraying things like hair spray, air freshner, etc into the air that it will find its way into the dehumidifer.
Remember dont tap the glass, your fish will think you're an idiot -Anonymous mother

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via AIM to LuxorCaw
Thanks for the quick info guys. The whole "airborne" bacteria thing will keep me away from saving and adding this water to my tank. Thanks again!!
LuxorCaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com