Dehumidifer Water???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LuxorCaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was told that dehumidifer water was in fact RO water, is this true? And if it is, could I save it up and use it for my tank?

See what other people say....but to my limited knowledge...a dehumidifier is drawing the moisture from the air and depositing it into a bin. This water doesn't go through any of the stages that RO water does....to my knowledge

it is not RO water, it is distilled, so to speak. The moisture comes from the air and carrys with it everything that is in the air. Also, anything it passes over in your dehumidifier, which can very likely have a multitude of bacteria/molds in it. I would be highly suspicious of using it in my SW system. There's just too many unknowns with the water, and too much at risk.

JMO

As BillyZ points out the water from the dehumidifier is definatly NOT RO water. RO filters run water thru a Reverse Osmosis membrane filter that in effect blocks all particles larger than a water molicule (over simplification). As its been pointed out above a dehumidifer is basicly a reverse AC unit in that it pulls the mosture out of the air and it collects on condensing coils. As it collects it drops into the collection tub to be dumped. Dust in the air will wind up in this collection tub as well as other things again like mentioned above airborn bactera, mold, pollen, etc.

NOW with that said I know someone who did just what your thinking. He mounted a dehumifiyer unit above his sump (his sump was in the basement and his display tank above him on the main floor). The unit was setup to drain into his sump directly. he used this as his "topoff" device with the aid of a float switch and RO as backup for many months with little signs of negitive results. But there is the potental expecially if you have someone in the hosue who likes to go spraying things like hair spray, air freshner, etc into the air that it will find its way into the dehumidifer.

Thanks for the quick info guys. The whole "airborne" bacteria thing will keep me away from saving and adding this water to my tank. Thanks again!!

Back
Top Bottom