Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-31-2003, 01:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Denatured Alcohol....safe?

I'm pulling my 55gallon in from outside...it will be my sump in a few short days...anyways, I want to reinforce the silicone seals on the sides (the ones on the bottom are still very much present and strong) and I need to clean it, so as to make sure the silicone sticks. Will denatured alcohol (Isopropyl, I believe) be safe to use? I know most (if not all) evaporates, but I wanted to check first. Thanks all.

[edit]It's only been outside for a few weeks, due to lack of space for it inside...just wanted to tell everyone WHY I was crazy enough to have the tank outside in a Michigan winter [/edit]

dansemacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2003, 03:06 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Denatured alcohol is ethanol 99% pure (approx). They denature it so it will not be food grad and cannot be consummed. Generally this is done with methanol or gasoline.

And rubbing alcohol from the store contains oil so your skin doesn't dry out.

If it is denatured ethanol without oils added then it should be fine but let it evaporate well before adding the silicone and when the silicone is dry make sure to rinse the tank well.
tkos is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com