deos anyone else have problems with

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Was all of the garbage *out* of the can before you started using it?

If you see wrappers, kleenexes, empty soup cans etc. floating on the surface then you should clean out the can and start over.

Of course... ! :D

Do you have a powerhead hanging in there constantly circulating or just when you mix salt?

I wonder if that would make a difference, constantly circulating water vs standing.

Also, maybe if you had previously cured rock in that can ou have some klingons on the plastic that are propogating the algae regardless of your water quality.

Just a thought.

I have noticed that if I do not have my powerhead in my make up water it gets slimy. Has anyone else noticed that?

Tim do you light your water change tubs?

I have mine in the basement with a lid on it to keep out dust and dirt.

Some 'garbage cans' are known for leaching phosphates. Because RO/DI water is devoid of any trace elements, it acts like a "sponge" if there is P04 to be leached.

Although FF is right - I would imagine the algae would need some light to develop.

I would wash out the container, and fill it with plain RO/DI (no salt). After about 24 hours, do a phosphate test on the water.

HTH,

If you see wrappers, kleenexes, empty soup cans etc. floating on the surface then you should clean out the can and start over.

lmao way to fuuuuunnnnnyyyyy thanks for the laugh needed it here today hehe

bizzybeas...the slime is most likely a bacterial slime. There are many heterotrophic bacteria that are much faster to establish than the nitrifying bacteria we want in our tanks.

The "algae" could simply be a bacterial slime as well.

Like Aaron I keep a heater, and powerhead in it, and a cover on top. no light. it is a Rubbermaid comercial products. it hase brute lid stamped ontop. standard garbage can size 30-40 gallon. it was bought at home depot. now i forgot to mention that i noticed the algea after i was to lazy to do a water change sunday before last and it sat in the can mixing for like a week and a 1/2. maybe the extended period of time was an issue. after i do water changes i gennerally just rinse the container with HOT tap water. scrubbibg it just every once in awhile. :roll:

Back
Top Bottom