Desired Height for MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonSolo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello All,

What is the desired height/distance should a MH hood be from a tank. FYI, I have a 75 gal reef and I'm installing a 2x250 MH and 2x110 VHO Hood. I was thinking 8-12 inches???

Thanks in Advance,
Jon Solo

:onfire:

8-12 is a good height. you might want to acclimate your corals by placing the light higher up than over time slowly lower the lights to where you think is best.

I just started looking at MH's for my new project. I found a couple places saying they need some kind of UV filtered glass between the bulb and the tank to keep from sunburning corals. True or false?

It depends on the type of MH light. Mogul style lamps do not need a glass layer as the bulb sheilds the UV itself. An HQI lamp needs the plate of glass since the bulb does not shield the UV. Take this witha grain of salt, I'm very new to SW.

sevise said:
It depends on the type of MH light. Mogul style lamps do not need a glass layer as the bulb sheilds the UV itself. An HQI lamp needs the plate of glass since the bulb does not shield the UV. Take this witha grain of salt, I'm very new to SW.

So any plate of glass would work ?? So on my 92gal Corner Bow, my Glass canopy would be fine if I were to get a dual HQI 250w setup ??

Shawn

my Glass canopy would be fine if I were to get a dual HQI 250w setup ??

My suggestion for running MH would definately be for an open top tank. My bulbs are 8" from the surface of the water as well. (2X400W 20ks) FWIW

Back
Top Bottom