Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-13-2006, 08:29 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Asking the wrong person about cukes. I've always been afraid of'm after I found out that some can kill off a whole tank if bothered or if they die. Now, I belive there are out there w/out that concern, but I haven't checked'm out. I believe a very stable tank (not on the new side) seems to be a prime requirement.

Have you checked out the gravel vac mentioned? They ar great in that you can actully stick'm down in the gravel bed and stir up the stuff in a chamber that drops the sand back down while sucking up all the loose stuff - water, detritus, empty small shells, etc.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
austin, i havn't checked out the real "vaccum" yet. Im just using a regular siphon tube to siphon the detrius off the rock and sand bed. Does a vaccum suck the water out of the tank or does it just circulate the water into the chamber to trap the detrius out?

About cukes, i've read that they are reefsafe as long as the size is small, correct? I was thinking of getting a couple of yellow cukes for my tank once my tank is stable. I've heard they are great detrius cleaner.

Thanks for your replies

Old 07-13-2006, 11:47 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I blow it off with a baster, then let the filters pick it up.

Problem is my HOB filter holds onto this stuff, in the bottom, and it gets stirred up really bad every time I change/clean the media, or turn the filter on or off.

So I cut and put a filter pad over the intake, which has helped, and now I vacuum the filter any time I do a PWC. I'm getting close to eliminating that filter entirely - another 20 to 40 pounds of LR and I'll give it a shot.

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:51 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

I use my vacuum to do my water change. I use a small bucket and by the time I empty it a couple times very little has settle back down. I do a water change once a week so it dont have much time to collect. I think if you use a vacuum you would be able to suck more junk up than with a tube. As for the cukes everything that I have read also scares me so I wont get one.
Old 07-13-2006, 12:00 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Does a vaccum suck the water out of the tank or does it just circulate the water into the chamber to trap the detrius out?
Yes. just a hose attached to a plastic chamber that sucks water and loose stuff without sucking uup the gravel. The chamber has a deflector in it that helps that.

Look at this. This is what I use. Gotta use the mouth to get it started though. nothing fancy. Sorry for the long URL.

http://www.saltwatersolution.com/sto...ategory_id=292

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:10 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to FishFrik
I have the exact same thing XD. You don't need to use your mouth to get it started. Just get some water in the hose, lift the intake end high so the water gets close to the output end, close the output end with your finger, then stick the intake back in the water, release your output end to your container/bucket and the siphoning should start.

I thought you guys were talking about some kind of electrical vaccum XD
Old 07-13-2006, 12:11 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thats the same thing that I use but I dont use my mouth to get it started. I take the end of the hose put it in the bucket which is lower than the tank, put the vacuum in the tank let it fill with water hold it horizontally. Gradually lift the open end up almost vertically until the water starts to flow through the tube and then before the water is all out put the vacuum back in at an angle the open part up and then tilt the tube down and you should seethe buubles sucked up into the vacuum. Sometimes I get it right the first time but most of the time I have to do it twice to get it working. but that works for me.

Tags
detritus

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com