Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-14-2007, 09:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
Devils hand propagation?

Anyone know a known method of propagating this coral? I have a huge specimen in my 37g that I would like to cut some lobes off of. If anyone has any tips or idea let me know. Thank you!

3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Remove it from the tank, get a scalpel or very sharp knife and try and cut as clean a cut as you can. I assume your work on cutting the "fingers" first? Just make sure you do this outside of the tank and that you have a place to put the mother coral and the frags for a while, until they stop sliming, which they will.

To attach the frags, you can either use a bunch of rubble in a tupperware container (lay down a layer of rock rubble, then lay the frags on top in a low flow area. Give them a few days/weeks and they'll attach themselves) or, you can use the toothpick method (take a toothpick, stab the frag at the base, then attach the toothpick to rubble or a rock in the tank.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

First let me start off by saying thank you for responding. Hmmm, see I figured there would be some sort of goo associated with cutting this coral. My girlfriend and my mother both have nanos and I have more than enough of this coral to give if I can figure out a way to make this work. I have a spare 10g I can set up and run carbon.....but other then that I run carbon, I'm not sure if this is practical right now. But thank you none the less.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
They only need to be in another container for a little while. No more than 30 minutes even. Even a 2 gallon bucket would work as long as it's the right temp and salinity.

It's honestly, very easy to do. So in that case, why don't you think it's practical?

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:09 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Devils Hand grows too big too fast for a nano in my opinion...
Old 01-15-2007, 02:01 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

lol this thing is really opened up huge, I thought it would slime for quite a while but if its only 30 min or so I will certainly give it a try,
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
nano arctica chiller
Old 01-15-2007, 06:45 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I use some titanium scissors I got at walmart for cutting my leather frags. The toothpick method as described above works very well with leathers too.
Old 01-17-2007, 11:14 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used a razor blade and some natural fiber twine. The twine just disolves after a few weeks.

LIVESTOCK:
4 false clowns, 2 firefish, cardinal, midas blennie, toadstool, zoos, shrooms, trumpet coral, torch, pagoda, frogspawn, poylps, red open brain, devils hand, hermits, snails, 3 cleaner shrimp, coral banded and a emerald crab.
canyon15 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com