Devils hand propagation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone know a known method of propagating this coral? I have a huge specimen in my 37g that I would like to cut some lobes off of. If anyone has any tips or idea let me know. Thank you!

Remove it from the tank, get a scalpel or very sharp knife and try and cut as clean a cut as you can. I assume your work on cutting the "fingers" first? Just make sure you do this outside of the tank and that you have a place to put the mother coral and the frags for a while, until they stop sliming, which they will.

To attach the frags, you can either use a bunch of rubble in a tupperware container (lay down a layer of rock rubble, then lay the frags on top in a low flow area. Give them a few days/weeks and they'll attach themselves) or, you can use the toothpick method (take a toothpick, stab the frag at the base, then attach the toothpick to rubble or a rock in the tank.

First let me start off by saying thank you for responding. Hmmm, see I figured there would be some sort of goo associated with cutting this coral. My girlfriend and my mother both have nanos and I have more than enough of this coral to give if I can figure out a way to make this work. I have a spare 10g I can set up and run carbon.....but other then that I run carbon, I'm not sure if this is practical right now. But thank you none the less.

They only need to be in another container for a little while. No more than 30 minutes even. Even a 2 gallon bucket would work as long as it's the right temp and salinity.

It's honestly, very easy to do. So in that case, why don't you think it's practical? :)

lol this thing is really opened up huge, I thought it would slime for quite a while but if its only 30 min or so I will certainly give it a try,

I use some titanium scissors I got at walmart for cutting my leather frags. The toothpick method as described above works very well with leathers too.

Back
Top Bottom