DI Resin for RO unit question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would not buy that pretty low quality overall. Do you have a TDS meter? You should to test and figure out when your filters and resin need replacing. Remember also that it is better to have a unti run longer than frequent short periods for filter life.

Google: Air/Water/Ice for high quality filters.

I dont have a TDS meter. I usually replace all of my filters every 2-3 months. I watch the sediment filter and when it starts getting direty I change it and and carbon. Then I have 2 DI catridges and rotate them - meaning I have then back to back and will throw away the first one in line, and rotate the 2nd one to the 1st position. I then put new resin in the 2nd position. I replace the DI resin every 3+ months at least.
Also I think you think Im buying the filters...Im not. Just the resin. I want to buy resin in bulk.

My friend you may be wasting big time money I am sorry to say. Good filters last longer than that. My last filters lasted 11 months before I needed to change but that varies on different aspects but that is very quick. A TDS would be a great investment. Just because you see a brown looking filter does not mean it is bad, it means it may be doing its job. A TDS should test 0 for good filters.

Better to buy an inline meter but drop in will do:

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/HMTDS3

Tomd
Don't want to appear to be argumentative, but heres something you might consider. I live in TX. We have some lakes here that have been as low as 25 ft below normal. It doesn't matter if you buy a steel filter, all of the sediment and gunk that comes in from the lake water will destroy a filter in a matter of short time. As a matter of fact I have ordered from the website you posted and was no more impressed with those filters than the ones I bought from Home Depot. As a matter of fact, I went as far as to call the manufacturer of some of the filters (carbon and sediment) and they told me that basically all filters are the same when comparing say a 1 micron filter to another. They had nothing to gain from telling me this as the supply these filters to not only people like Home Depot but also fish entity stores as well. Thought I would interject this. I am still looking for DI resin if anyone knows where I can buy some. The stuff off of Ebay seems to work well. I have had no trouble with it - just want to buy more than 1.5 lbs at a time.
Thanks!

Ok I was not arguing filters, just a suggestion. I was saying to use a TDS meter and test the production of your unit before you go buying filters.

I have had filters look dirty and get a 0 TDS reading.

Again, just trying to help. And for the record I use an RO unit I got from a seller on Ebay. Been performing as well as more expensive units for almost 2 years. "filterdirect." They also make ok filters, a little better than the supplier in the link and for cheap.

No problem...I just figure once the filter is brown then its ready to be thrown away. Im really concerned about the DI filter and not the other 2. I have been batteling PO4 issues for 3 years. I will rather error on getting rid of the DI resin and refilling the cartidge to soon than to late.
I will check out the filterdirect. Thanks as always for any suggestions. We here in TX have a little more to contend with as far as getting good water these days. Really frustrating!

um... did i miss something? that DI resin in the original link is from AIR/WATER/ICE. I would buy it.

I would also take the advice on the TDS meter. they will give you a more qualitative measure of the quality of your water, rather than eye-balling the color of the filter and DI resin.

As for ebay seller "filterdirect". I have it and it HATE the horizontal DI cartridge... the resin is constantly channeling or settling. I plan on upgrading my setup to a vertical DI or a completely new RODI setup entirely. anyway, he does sell DI resin, but it is in 18 oz packages.

~mike

You are right it is from the website that was recommended. I didnt notice this until just now. Im having a serious problem with my RO unit right now so Im holding off on purchasing any resin.

Back
Top Bottom