Diamond goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Odielite

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I picked up a diamond goby a couple days ago. First night he was a little edgie yesterday he spent all day constructing a fortress underneath a large shell. Wake up this morning he was just sitting on the sand being lazy. He hasn't done anything really all day and doesn't even get startled just sit their. Any advice on what to do?

2 tomato clowns, 3 blue/yellow damsels, 1 royal gramma, 2 domino damsels about 35 blue leg hermit crabs 3 turbo snails, 2 peppermint shrimp 1 pistol shrimp

How did yu acclimate? What size tank and what parameters? Sorry for questions just trying to work out what may have been wrong

Floated the bag, I have a 90 with a wet dry and refugium. About 10 lbs live rock and 50 lbs dry rock crushed coral and sand t-8 lighting. I'm fairly new tank has been running for about 4 months nitrates are below 5ppm ph is like 8.1 salinity 1.021

There's your problem then with salt water you can't just float the bag especially as your salinity is quite low so the fish will be going into shock and dyeing when you put it in your tank. The other fish your have in there are all fairly hardy fish which is why they have made it but you really need to look into drip acclimating your fish or you will keep having this problem

I agree with the above post. You need to acclimate better. I float the bag first then add the fish to a small bucket and add a couple ounces of water every few minutes for at least half an hour, usually an hour for me.

Thats odd advice. lol I do the reverse. I float my coral, then dip it then into the tank it goes.

Just buy yourself 4-5 feet of airline tubing (get silicone tubing and not vinyl) and simply tie a loose knot in it. Once the syphon is started, tighten or loosen the knot to adjust the flow to a moderate drip

+1 on drip. I drip all my fish for atleast an hour to two hours. Fish can get stressed very easily (especially gobies). I know because ive lost a few myself. I stopped acclimating new corals and have not lost any because of it.

+1 to the last 2 comments. you'll notice an obvious improvement in a fishs overall look and behavior when added to a dt if they are properly drip acclimated. with the royal gramma we just recently bought, I was a bit rushed for time because I had to leave for work, so I only drip acclimated him for 15 minutes, it took him until the next morning to actually be back to 100%.

I usually drip mine for two hours or more, also I would raise your salinity to 1.026 but slowly over a couple of days

Back
Top Bottom