Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I wish people would keep to themselves when it comes to this. Or at least ask more questions before coming to a conclusion about somebody across the country or world who you don't even know.

Oh look here, I just happen to be setting up a 125 gallon www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=87755
Sorry, can't do it when I see improper husbandry of livestock. I think it is great that you are setting up a new tank, however, I believe the proper tank should be in place BEFORE the purchase. This would be a very poor site if people "kept to themselves" about important issues.

Old 10-14-2006, 04:50 PM   #102
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Plus what would you rather have happen? Me buy the tang and give it as best a home as I can provide, or either it sits in the tank at the crappy lfs and dies, or somebody who has absolutely no idea what they are doing buys it and it dies.
or another option...someone else comes along that has a 175 gallon tank or so and buys it. hmm

We WILL continue to comment on bad husbandry practices when we see it happening. It is part of our job. Just for the record, your fish may only be three inches, but it still likes to swim and needs swimming room.

Old 10-14-2006, 06:40 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Freak

BUSTED.....by the tang police!

Just make sure you get that 125 up and going ASAP! He needs it!
Old 10-14-2006, 07:22 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
That's your purgative Hara. I suppose we are all entitled to say and do whatever we want, think or feel.

But then again it's not at all that being criticized is offensive to me. I don't really care at all. What does matter to me is that we've now flamed what I and several other people thought was a good, informative, and educational thread for beginners. Now there is a huge break in the information where we've begun a tangent, and people starting up a new tank will have to read all this crap I'm typing about nothing important, then get bored with it and go somewhere else when they could probably learn something, when it could have been prevented simply by asking if I was planning on upgrading soon. Or just reading the thread a couple lines down called "Getting another 125 gallon reef tank....wooo hooo." Common sense is genius.

I'm a pretty reasonable and very rational person, and I'm sure this is the same for most of us. Thus I do plan on setting up my 125 as soon as possible, and transferring him to it when it cycles.

Anyway...Can we get off this tangent and back to the subject at hand. How much algea do I need to feed? I've been putting in a strip about 3"x 2" every day or so...Is that too much too often or just about right for one herbivore.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:51 PM   #105
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
we've now flamed what I and several other people thought was a good, informative, and educational thread for beginners.
It is due to those beginners that we point things like this before some of them get the wrong idea about the appropriatness of your fish choice.

As for MY common sense, I have plenty of it and as such wouldnt have bought the fish until I had a tank ready for it. Please watch your insults. Further comments and personal attacks will get you kicked from your own thread.

As far as your question regarding the algae, if the fish eats it in a short amount of time, you need to be adding it more often. My tangs get greens daily. It lasts about an hour before it is gone.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:59 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
What does matter to me is that we've now flamed what I and several other people thought was a good, informative, and educational thread for beginners.
That statment would be true perhaps if you changed the titile of the thread to "A few things not to do when starting a new tank"....You have a laundry list of shortcuts that have caused you many problems, including the death of your clownfish, and putting a tang, much less that type of tang, in a small tank, even though you know better, no matter how long he will be housed.

You didnt want to ask for advice from others, you simply wanted to follow your own agenda first and ask questions later....and when you post things that are clearly wrong when setting up a reef, dont get all upset when people come at you for very poor husbandry pratices.

I have never met anyone ho will buy a MH light for thier tank, but yet cheap out on LS and powerheads and stuff......you need to take a serious look at you plans for reef keeping, make your plan final, and then stick to it!

Listen man, everyone wants to help you, but this is called aquarium advice....if you dont want advice, I would suggest going elsewhere, like an LFS that will tell you anything you want to hear in order to make a buck or two!
Old 10-14-2006, 11:32 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Okay well I will start a new thread called "**** ups from a newb." Then tell about all the screw ups I had. I'm not afraid to admit it. We all make mistakes. They say when you stop making mistakes, your dead. And I'm still typing.

At least now I know what I need to do to make my new 125 really awesome.
Old 10-15-2006, 01:03 AM   #108

Quote:
I wish you luck but you do know you can't stolk it even close to what you did to your freshwater right?
[/quote]

I stated this in the begining of your thread because you overstocked your F/W tank and didn't want to listen. Then we try to help and you lash out at people and use inappropriate lang.

People at AA unlike other places usually say what they say because they WANT you to suceed and the living animals to be happy and healthy, not because they enjoy arguing with you.

Let this go and you will learn a lot more because their is alot more to learn. I have been researching and reading over an 1hr-2 a day for over a year and I don't think I have even touched the surface. People here can teach you alot.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:30 AM   #109
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've done let this go a few posts back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
Anyway...Can we get off this tangent and back to the subject at hand.
But it seems like everybody here wants a peice of Speakerman cause I have a tang. Big deal. Why can't we just drop all this mess and get back to the whole my first saltwater tank thing. I've made a lot of mistakes on this tank, and don't plan on making them on the next tank. And when I get the big one set up I am going to redo this tank with the right kind of live sand, RO/DI water, overflows ect. Those were my biggest mistakes so far. Besides using these aquaclear 70, which I had no idea would suck up a fish until it happened.

Hara, I was not insulting you, nore anyone else.
"Common sense is genius" because everyone knows that asking a simple question yeilds more positive reactions than negative comments.

Sure I may have made a bad choice by getting this tang without my new tank set up, however I do plan on transfering it as soon as possible, and it is one of the fish I've wanted to keep in the 125. And to be honest with you. I've wanted one for a long time and got this one for 40 bucks off. Which I couldn't have got again most likely. Was this a good choice? I still think so, yes.

I understand everyone's concern here for the well being of their fishy friends, but you must realize I feel the same and care about all of my pets. I would not of purchased a tang if I hadn't honestly known I could provide a larger tank in the near future.

For example. I started out with 10 gallon tank and bought 2 Oscars for it because I didn't know any better. Now I have a 150 gallon, 125, 55, 37, 20 and two 10 gallons.

Needless to say, I will upgrade if the need arrises.

As of now, I'd appreciate it if we could drop the whole thing and get back to helping, teaching, and sharing a hand with our skills and knowledge.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:24 AM   #110
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
As of now, I'd appreciate it if we could drop the whole thing and get back to helping, teaching, and sharing a hand with our skills and knowledge.
Good point. There has been some vey good information passed out in this thread. However, you need to take the good with the bad. Helping, teaching and sharing knowledge is what we do. As part of that, we do call people out when bad choices are made. Everything here seems to have been done in a respectful manner...you took offense becasue you did not like the message.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com