Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-15-2006, 02:32 PM   #111
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
get back to helping, teaching, and sharing
I like that too. Glad to hear you sound like you're able to accept criticism in support of the teaching we do. Folks had different opinions and experiences and shared'm. Glad you've calmed down about it. I'd like to see you hang around the site and continue to share. Identifying mistakes is a huge part of "helping, teaching & sharing".

So hang in there. 8)

Old 10-15-2006, 04:30 PM   #112
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I have a question.

There is a film almost at the top of the water. It's almost like microbubbles that have not popped... Is this because my skimmer is not working right? I can't quite figure it out.

My skimmer isn't really creating bubbles that get caught in the cup, so I don't know if it's working or not. Does anybody know a way to adj the Seaclone 100 to make it skim better?

I don't know what else it could be.

Old 10-15-2006, 05:03 PM   #113

I had film that I took care of by placing 1 of my PH higher to create ripples. But the bubbles could be the skimmer. Have you added any additives to the tank? I hear this can affect the skimmer.

Even though many people are not to fond of the SeaClone it should be producing bubbles in the chamber and some foam to the cup. Nothing at all? Is there an adj. dial for flow ar anything? Maybe someone who has one will be able to help. A lot of skimmers have diofferent ways to adjust. I will search and see if I can fin anything.

EDIT: I found this thread when I googled it from another forum. I think this may help

http://www.reefs.org/phpBB2/viewtopi...ca69949cd611ad

I also found this that someone had to say. I am not to good with DIY so maybe you can understand better:

"1. Go to Lowes or home depot and get a different air vaulve that is less sensitive
2. Cut out a bioball and fit it around the impeller to make a DIY needle wheel skimmer
3. Drill another hole on the cap for the collection cup and run air tubing throught it down to the bottom of the skimmer into an airstone

You can get a seaclone to work pretty well if you take the time."
Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM   #114
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you have a surface skimmer?...you have to if you have a sump right?

That usually takes care of it, or as mike stated, more surface flow may be needed....this will help you pH too!

The back to teaching stuff is a good idea for sure!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:21 AM   #115
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I do have a powerhead up high and the water has quite a bit of agitation...but apparenty not enough so I need to do something about it.

As for additives, I've been using prime to detoxify the tap water before I add it. So that might be a problem. I NEED AN RO UNIT!!!! dang it.

Well I don't quite understand what he means about cut out a bioball and fit it around the impeller...but then again, I havent taken the maxijet 1200 apart to see.

I think that might be a good idea though to make the seaclone into an airstone skimmer. I've got tons of pumps and airstones.

The surface skimmer would be the overflow, and the seaclone is stationed down inside my sump right now with the PH connected directly to the skimmer...none of that feeding tube stuff. I got rid of that.

I think I might try drilling a hole for an airstone.

Thanks.

EDIT:

WOW guys...I modded the seaclone a nd set it up with an airstone and a very powerful dual output airpump...and oh my lord...lol...It works like a dream...I can't believe the change in output...It's crazy...wow...awesome...not even kidding...Anybody with a seaclone needs to mod it for an airstone and get rid of the air injection lol...it makes a huge difference.

Not that I think about it. I moved the skimmer down to the sump and thats when it stopped working. Then like a day or so after I started getting the Diatom bloom...I think that might be my problem. I hope I see a reduction in diatoms soon.

Thanks for the help bro. I appreciate it a lot.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #116
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make sure you are using an inline redulator so you dont have a flood and also use coralife limewood airstones, if you want realy preformance!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:09 AM   #117

That is good to hear. Hopefully it will do the job until you upgrade your tank and I am sure it will you just may have to adjust it a little hear and there.
Old 10-18-2006, 02:47 AM   #118
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
I hope I see a reduction in diatoms soon.
Me too because that was sad from how it looked before with out the Diatom bloom
Old 10-18-2006, 02:56 AM   #119
Aquarium Advice FINatic

well I scrubed the diatoms off the glass, and kind of brushed them off the rocks. That was a couple days ago and they haven't came back. I also see some new growth in purple coraline. I think fixing the skimmer really helped solve my problem. It's working soo good right now lol. When I first modded it, it was skimming like crazy cause all of the stuff in the water, so it was overflowing. But now it's slowed down and the skimmit is very dark, the way it should be.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:37 AM   #120
Aquarium Advice Activist

Cool Cant wait to see it at its best again, and when we go back to Aquarium World and get the show quality Anemone.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com