Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I spend 3 dollars on the hydro...I'm not going to expect it to be that accurate. I will get a refacto when I get some money.

I don't have access to RO water so I have to use treated tap water. I realize this may give me some problems with algea. I also used pool filter sand...which may also give me a problem with algea and present a semi inhabitable place for sand dwellers and cleaners...

This is my first tank...and don't expect to get everything right. I'm not too encredibly worried about it to be honest.

The best any of you can do is help me in the right direction with the equipment I have.

Yes I realize I can't put that many fish in a saltwater tank. Instead of 1" per gallon which is actually a bit much...it's more like 5-6" per gallon and that is also pushing it.

I'm planning on only putting a couple fish in the tank and build a reef.

Old 09-16-2006, 08:27 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Well I finally got a couple peices of LR. I got the only two peices I liked at PetCo and I'm supposed to be getting a the rest tonight from a buddy in town.

Here is a pretty good pic, the large peice has some pretty coraline growing on it and actually I think has some form of coral on it.

Can anybody tell me what type of coral it is? It can't be anything too cool because it was actually turned facing the sand, so it wasn't getting much light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01287_829.jpg (132.6 KB, 22 views)

Old 09-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to hc8719 Send a message via MSN to hc8719
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
I don't have access to RO water so I have to use treated tap water. I realize this may give me some problems with algea. I also used pool filter sand...which may also give me a problem with algea and present a semi inhabitable place for sand dwellers and cleaners...
hold up? im not quite a saltie yet, but i too recently found out about RO water. is this a must? or can i just use my "PURE" water filter from the sink. or even dechlor water. i dont mind a bit of algae.
Old 09-16-2006, 10:00 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tap water is suposed to have a lot of silicate in it. Which is why most people don't prefer to use it. Diatoms are known to show up much stronger when tap water is used.

This goes the same with pool filter sand. It's a silicate sand I think. Again Diatoms like silicate.

Thats my take on it...
Old 09-16-2006, 10:31 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Addict

ive never gotten diatoms in my fw tanks, are they more popular when salt is in the water? otherwise it would save me alot of money not buying a RO machine. but it sounds too good to be true, can an experienced saltie back this up? i'd appreciate it
Old 09-16-2006, 10:53 PM   #46

background

Speakerman can I make a suggestion? I am also building a reef. I painted the back black. When you have real corals a fake background kind of takes away from the corals. I know it is you tank but I just wanted to see what you liked.

Also pool filter sand is not really a good idea. I think you know that. I would take it out now because it will be much more difficult later. An established sandbed is important so you should really think about that.

And keep in mind what people advised about the hood. You need area for gas exchange or your PH will be to low.

Here is what my 30 looks like on week 3 with the black backgound and about 50 lbs of LR.

EDIT: I just read that you put filter media from your freshwater tank? This is not a good idea either just so you know. Take it out and let the bacteria establish. IMO anyway
Old 09-16-2006, 10:59 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

Too much crap gets in the tank from tap water. chlorine is used among other nasty chemicals to (so call) treat water at water stations and then travel miles of old pipes to get to your sink. PURE filters clean the water good enough to drink but think about it; a pure filter has one stage of media, even the smallest RO/DI unit has three stages. How much cleaner do you think the RO/DI water is? I would not even consider starting a new tank now without an RO/DI unit. I would want any new inhabitants to go into an environment that will stress them the least. Think about all they have gone through already to get to your tank?
Old 09-17-2006, 12:52 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Re: background

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike469
Speakerman can I make a suggestion? I am also building a reef. I painted the back black. When you have real corals a fake background kind of takes away from the corals. I know it is you tank but I just wanted to see what you liked.

Also pool filter sand is not really a good idea. I think you know that. I would take it out now because it will be much more difficult later. An established sandbed is important so you should really think about that.

And keep in mind what people advised about the hood. You need area for gas exchange or your PH will be to low.

Here is what my 30 looks like on week 3 with the black backgound and about 50 lbs of LR.
Thanks for the suggestions bro. Don't think that I'm just blowing them off. I'm doing this tank this way for a reason. If it turns out that a year from now I have a succesful tank that didn't give me any problems... We will all know it is possible.

I've got a 150 gallon tank bro...I'm setting that one up next. When I do THAT one...Everything is going to be perfect. This tank however is kind of a test to see where this is going to take me.

As for the background. I like it.

I'm a stubborn Texan lol.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:26 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

thanks angel

and sorry speakerman, i kinda got another question going on your thread, i'll let you go back to you
Old 09-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

Good luck with your tank.....

I hate to say it but you are doing a lot of things wrong, and I doubt you will enjoy dealing with these easily corrected problems now.

3 serious problems I see right now:

You are using the wrong type of same and that will cause PH issues and issues with keeping certain types of animals.....

You do not have enough flow, and I would not trust cheap equipment from petco. What if one of those cheap PH's breaks and you loose a bunch of flow or worse over heats from breaking and kills your tank.....

You are using tap water and you will have a ton of probelms with nusience algae....this is not like freshwater, this stuff will take over you tank and make it unsightly....

This is an expensive hobby.....If you dont plan on doing things right you might as well give up for your wallets sake and the sake of your future livestock.

I am not trying to bash on you, just trying to help you avoid the same costley lessons I have learned in the past.....

Good luck with your tank....I would take the reccomendations you get here very seriously and always consult these guys before you buy anything for your tank!

PS...I forgot to tell you, you can calibrate your hydro by marking where is shows with sea water or water that you know for a fact is 1.025.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com