Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-22-2006, 06:54 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I'm not using the carbon for any specific reason. Since I don't have access to RO water, I'm just assuming that there may be something in my tap water that the carbon could help with. I also treated the water with prime. In a couple weeks I will remove all of the carbon from the filter as it isn't really needed unless removing medicine ect...

The water is flowing through the sacks. If you look closely you will see that the water pouring into the sump is aimed directly at the sacks. The water then flows around the sump, through the filter floss, then back up to the tank through the powerhead.

Old 09-22-2006, 06:55 PM   #62
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Cool, sounds like a plan.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:32 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used to put carbon in panty hose in my sump in my 100 gal FOWLR...It works, albeit not as well as if the water is flowing through it.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
EDIT: hey Alex you can come check it out tonight if you want.
Dam my bad I just got online right now. I should have checked back last night. What do you have going on this weekend? I think I am going up to Houston this week Il hit you up and see if you want to go to aquarium world or aquatic world.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:26 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Quote:
Originally Posted by clubsuperduty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
EDIT: hey Alex you can come check it out tonight if you want.
Dam my bad I just got online right now. I should have checked back last night. What do you have going on this weekend? I think I am going up to Houston this week Il hit you up and see if you want to go to aquarium world or aquatic world.
Sounds good man.

----------------------------

I just built some tops for the fuge and for the overflow box.

The box was making soo much noise that I cut a piece of acrylic to fit as good as I could...and siliconed it in place lol...That way I can't hear anything...Seams to still be working ok. I thought sealing it up may have caused a problem, but I think it is just fine.

As for the top in the fuge, I just did that for looks/anti-evap.

I started to get my first diatom growth. It's just darker splotches of sand every now and then. When I swirl the sand they go away.

Well I just checked my parameters and I still have around 1+ ppm ammonia, I am seeing a jump in nitrite to around .5-1, and I have around 20 ppm nitrate.

I think another week and the cycle might be near completion...another 2 weeks and I can probobly get a fish.

However once I put my huge lighting on it, it will cycle again slightly. Jumping from 40W to 205 w will make it happen...I was told.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:14 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well my ammonia is down to 0, no nitrite, and about 20 nitrate.

My fish supplier here in town has placed an order for some fish that will be ariving tonight around 2 AM.

I'm getting two RED clowns with brilliant white stripes. They are bright/deep red color on the body and dark red around the tips of their fins. With brilliant white stripes, not yellowish. I've never seen any like this before...They are perhaps the most beautiful Clown's I've ever seen...seriously...amazing. I'll get some pics when I get them.

I can't wait to get them. I hope they like me heh heh...yay...

I will probobly wait another month or so to start getting coral. I've got a 175W 14k metal halide kit coming in a couple days. That will put me at 205 w since I also have a 40w 10k coral-life.

That, coupled with a turn-over rate of about 30 times per hour...I think I'll be in good shape.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:22 PM   #67
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Sounds like either Ocellaris Clownfish or Maroon Clownfish, if maroon, they have cheekspines and should not be netted. You may want to get a pair, one that is smaller than the other, otherwise you might be in for some fighting.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 09:07 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah I am going to get a pair. I think it is a maroon clown, but it's not a normal one...The one I saw was rediculous...I'm so excited...!!!
Old 09-25-2006, 09:33 PM   #69

Cycle

Speakerman,

Everybody wants to help but I have to honestly say that I believe you are setting yourself up for disaster.

You started your cycle September 12-13 and On September 25 you are acclimating new fish. I think that is way to soon no matter what your levels say.

I hope for the fish's sake I am wrong.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:23 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Aight, so you think I should wait then...I don't have a problem with that...I will tell her to save them for me.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com