Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-25-2006, 10:49 PM   #71

fish

Yes I would wait. You and the fish will be happier in the long run. Are you sure you cycled that quick? You saw spikes in both amonia and nitrite? How much of the LR was really live? Did you use a shrimp or just the LR?

Either way you got to give it a few weeks at least. Even if you did fully cycle I would feed the bacteria and let the tank stabilize for a little. Are you going to get any more LR?
Old 09-26-2006, 12:10 AM   #72
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
ALL of the live rock was live, about 55-60 lbs of it, I even got actual live sand from a lady I know...She had all of this rock and sand in a bunch of tanks that are set up and cycled...My sump has a lot of LS, LR, and macroalgea. I've got tons of coraline growing on several of the rocks...And a lot of little critters and worms in the sump.

But anywho...I'm going to wait a while and see if the algea can release some of those nitrates.

Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 AM   #73
Aquarium Advice Freak

Nitrates only go away with water changes.....If you do nothing expecting them to go away on their own, they will only get worse!

PWCs are in order, especially if you want to add those clowns!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #74
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree. Do a nice big water change and then test again for a few days. You want to make sure your tank can handle the addition of something. It sounds like it may be cycled now, but for very little bioload. So when you add fish, you could see ammonia again.

About the maroon clowns, even the gold stripped ones have white stripes as juvis. Just be warned that they may turn gold with age.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 07:51 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Actually If it is cycled, It's probobly ready for a pretty big load...I add a block of brine shrimp everyday...

All 60 lbs of live rock was being used in tanks that were set up with fish and all that. Along with the live sand for my sump that was being used in an established tank as well.

I have sponges on the bottomes of each of the power heads...The little shrimp gets stuck in there and I'm sure that is also where a lot of the benificial bacteria is growing.

Anywho, I'm going to see if I can find some RO/DI water tonight and do a good sized water change.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:23 AM   #76
Aquarium Advice Newbie

This has been a very interesting and educational thread to read through. Thanks to Speakerman for starting it and all those that have contributed to it. This thread encouraged me to register for the forum and post a new topic of my own at:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewto...926&pc_t=72805
Old 09-27-2006, 09:58 AM   #77
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speakerman
...I add a block of brine shrimp everyday...
Overfeeding is one of the easiest ways to foul your water I can think of.......and in your case nothing is even eating the food, it is just rotting on the bottom!

Your tank will never finish cycleing if you keep adding ammonia producing waste to your tank.

You need to stop adding stuff to it immediately, and begin some water changes so you will be able to eventually add those fish!
Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't see any remanance of the brine shrimp at all. My reason for adding is to feed the ammonia reducing bacteria. I'm not worried about bad conditions right now, I just want the bacteria well established.

Anywho, I think I've got enough bacteria established, I'm just going to focus on getting my parameters right for now. Then add the clowns.
Old 09-27-2006, 12:03 PM   #79
Aquarium Advice Freak

You will never be able to get your params right if you keep adding a block of brine shrimp to your tank everyday with no fish or cleaners to consume it.......NH3/4 and NO2 will creep back up on you!

And you do not need to feed the bacteria anymore, All it needs is a jump start, like one piece of shrimp or a block of brine....This is not something you need to repeat!
Old 10-07-2006, 11:36 PM   #80
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well my water conditions have been stable for a while now and I went ahead and added a Sally lightfoot crab, a maroon clown, 5 small hermits, and 2 bumble bee snails.

They have all been in the tank for a week now and everything is doing very well. Here are a few pics.

This is my latest aquascaping. I need a bit more live rock IMO.

Here is my Maroon Clown, I named him Arron.

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com