Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2006, 01:47 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
Diary of my first saltwater tank...Awesome.

Hey everybody, I'm new to the saltwater forum. I just got my new 37 gallon tank that I want to build a reef in and have a lot of questions.

First off, I want to run a Rena Filstar xP1 on it and a good skimmer (don't know anything about skimmers). Where is the CHEAPEST place on the internet to buy an xP1 and what kind of skimmer would you suggest for this size tank.

Also if you have any helpful advice that is unique to setting up and maintaining a saltwater aquarium...please let me know. I've got several successful freshwater aquariums but this is a whole new ball game for me.

Thanks.
-Brad
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc01266_146.jpg (63.3 KB, 32 views)

Old 09-12-2006, 09:39 AM   #2
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

People get pretty good deals on ebay. Read articles above and do a fishless cycle. Welcome to SW

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:51 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Robert Fenner's "Conscientious Marine Aquarist" would also be a good start - except for the part about cycling with fish. Old book, but still a good read.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Just ignore the part about using live fish to cycle. We`ve come a long way on that subject since that book was written.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 09-12-2006, 09:58 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Welcome to the SW side! I'm not sure about skimmers, but on the SW side, it is best to not skimp on costs. Also, that hood might give you problems with pH. Just get a ph for surface ripple.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:27 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Speakerman Send a message via AIM to Speakerman Send a message via MSN to Speakerman Send a message via Yahoo to Speakerman
I need to get a glass top right? I was thinking of getting some glass tops and then building or buying some really sweet light setup for it. I want to grow corals and such...How much wattage should I shoot for when dealing with a tank this size?

Can anybody help me out with choosing a skimmer? I know nothing about them.

I'm going to go buy my substrate, the xP1, and the instant ocean today. They have a skimmer over there at petsmart too but its lke 100 bucks...I guess I need to see what the price match is on it.
Old 09-12-2006, 11:33 AM   #7
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I would not use glass tops unless you had to. They cause your PH to lower because of poor gas exchange. Some people use egg crate instead.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 09-12-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I will just build my own hood and put some awesome lights in it. That's no big deal, I've still got probobly a month or so till I will actually start putting fish in it.

Should I just go ahead and get an xP2 or xP3 instead of an xP1...It will give me much more flow, more stable water conditions, and probobly just make everthing work better in general...It's only like 40 bucks more...What do you think? The tank is 37 gallons, so an xP1 would probobly work...but....you know...

Does this skimmer look like it will work? do I need a powerhead for it?

http://www.petsmart.com/global/produ...mmer&N=2023693

Old 09-12-2006, 11:47 AM   #9
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

I`m taking it that this is a filter this xp1. I`ve never heard of it but in the nine years that I`ve had a tank I`ve used only LR and a skimmer. Other people have use filters and that`s OK but IME LR,LS and skimmer is all you need. Others will chime in about their experiences.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

View my tank

Old 09-12-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Really? No filter? How are you supposed to cycle the tank? Do I need to put live rock in the tank while it is cycling?

So if I do use a filter, will it take away the nutrients that feed the live rock?

Also where is a good place to buy live rock, there is some at petco but they are little peices...I want BIG ones...lol

And how do you get the corals and other organisms to grow off the rock? do they come "pre-planted" on the rock when you buy it?

Tags
salt, saltwater, saltwater tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com