Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-01-2007, 01:28 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Diatom filter - continuous use?

I picked up a Vortex XL diatom filter.

I'm confused about the running time suggested. I've seen both "continuous use" right on the packaging, but then I've also seen "continuous use (max 8 hours per week)", which to me is contradictory...

Anyone have luck running these 24/7?

180G All-glass with dual megaflows in a custom stand
AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
Custom acrylic sump from GlassCages.com
2xPCX-40 return pumps
2x250MH 14K, 2x175MH 14K - PFO lighting, 2x65W PC
No-name 36W UV
Water General 125GPH RO/DI
Filstar XP3
Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have this unit and I run it on my fw tank every couple of weeks for approximately 10-12 hours. I run it on my sw tank every month for a few hours just to "polish" up the water.

I don't believe you would be able to run on a continual basis, as it is mainly designed to polish water and remove any small particles. After 10-12 hours the filter media (diatomaceous earth - a very fine powder) becomes clogged. If you wanted to run it continuously, you'd have to change the filter media a couple of times a day.

THT

Old 08-01-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mostly I want to use it to remove any parasites - and polish (although most particles in the water column seem to be micro bubbles). I was worried about running it for say, 12 straight hours.

The directions are weak for the Vortex XL filter. It's either continuous use (24/7) or not. I wonder if it's a translation problem, if the filters are being produced overseas.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3
Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I don't think you'd have any problems running it for 12 hours. I think you'll be surprised on how quickly it cleans up the water.

One tid-bit of info tho-be sure to watch for seal leaks....this unit has recently had some issues with it. I've had my unit for a few years and it seems to be a problem with the newer models.

This link
http://www.diatomfilters.com/index1.html has some fairly general info on the Vortex XL. Maybe these instructions will help out. (oops! I almost forgot - go to the button labeled "Diatom Filter Manual" which is in the middle of the page in the center.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

It didn't pick up much in about 8 hours that it ran. I'm doing pretty good filtering now with sump socks and an XP3. This kinda confirms my idea that most of what I'm seeing in the tank are micro bubbles.

This is mounted on the sump, btw - not the tank.

I did have to cut the hoses down, I left them a bit too long, and the XL was filling with air for some reason. About an inch or 2 at the top of the filter. No hose leaks, but once I cut the hoses to just reach the filter, it stopped doing that.

MsBeanCtr - thanks for the tip about seal leaks, I've read about that elsewhere. I'll watch for leaks.

AquaC EV-180 skimmer
250 pounds LR
160 pounds aragonite
2xPCX-40 return pumps
No-name 36W UV
Filstar XP3

Tags
diatom, filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com