Diatom filter - continuous use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scoot

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I picked up a Vortex XL diatom filter.

I'm confused about the running time suggested. I've seen both "continuous use" right on the packaging, but then I've also seen "continuous use (max 8 hours per week)", which to me is contradictory...

Anyone have luck running these 24/7?

I have this unit and I run it on my fw tank every couple of weeks for approximately 10-12 hours. I run it on my sw tank every month for a few hours just to "polish" up the water.

I don't believe you would be able to run on a continual basis, as it is mainly designed to polish water and remove any small particles. After 10-12 hours the filter media (diatomaceous earth - a very fine powder) becomes clogged. If you wanted to run it continuously, you'd have to change the filter media a couple of times a day.

THT

Mostly I want to use it to remove any parasites - and polish (although most particles in the water column seem to be micro bubbles). I was worried about running it for say, 12 straight hours.

The directions are weak for the Vortex XL filter. It's either continuous use (24/7) or not. I wonder if it's a translation problem, if the filters are being produced overseas.

I don't think you'd have any problems running it for 12 hours. I think you'll be surprised on how quickly it cleans up the water.

One tid-bit of info tho-be sure to watch for seal leaks....this unit has recently had some issues with it. I've had my unit for a few years and it seems to be a problem with the newer models.

This link
http://www.diatomfilters.com/index1.html has some fairly general info on the Vortex XL. Maybe these instructions will help out. (oops! I almost forgot - go to the button labeled "Diatom Filter Manual" which is in the middle of the page in the center.

It didn't pick up much in about 8 hours that it ran. I'm doing pretty good filtering now with sump socks and an XP3. This kinda confirms my idea that most of what I'm seeing in the tank are micro bubbles.

This is mounted on the sump, btw - not the tank.

I did have to cut the hoses down, I left them a bit too long, and the XL was filling with air for some reason. About an inch or 2 at the top of the filter. No hose leaks, but once I cut the hoses to just reach the filter, it stopped doing that.

MsBeanCtr - thanks for the tip about seal leaks, I've read about that elsewhere. I'll watch for leaks.

Back
Top Bottom