diatom filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intensity68

Aquarium Advice Regular
CAn anyone direct me to a good link about diatom filters? My questions are:

Are they...

Good, bad, or indifferent?

Best used alone or in conjunction with a particular type of filter?

Cost to value ratio(meaning is it worth the money assuming you have the money to buy it)?

Thanks

Hey reefrunner, why wouldn't you use one? Does it extract benefical minerals, bacteria, etc. when run?

Diatom filters are basically polishing filters, the filter your water of particulates down to the micron size. This is OK on occasion and in some instances may be necessary (algae blooms, etc.), but for the most part that is robbing your fish and corals of food. I would also imagine uyou would need to clean and replace the diatomaceus earth every couple of days, which would be a pita. It's a very fine mechanical filter that will clog quickly.

I agree with Reefrunner. I have one and I only use it to filter out unwanted particles. You should only use it once in a while. It will definitely make your water crystal clear and depending on the size of your tank, you may only need to run it anywhere from 8hrs to 2 days.

And yes you have to change the diatomaceus earth every time you use it depending on the amount of particles collected. The filter can be costly for a device you only use sparingly but if you can afford it, it's good.

I agree with Reefrunner. I have one and I only use it to filter out unwanted particles. You should only use it once in a while. It will definitely make your water crystal clear and depending on the size of your tank, you may only need to run it anywhere from 8hrs to 2 days.

And yes you have to change the diatomaceus earth every time you use it depending on the amount of particles collected. The filter can be costly for a device you only use sparingly but if you can afford it, it's good.

Thanks for the feedback. You guys are a tremedous resource. Experience has a way of getting to the bottom line quickly!

Kevin

Back
Top Bottom