Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-03-2003, 05:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

diatomes/detrius

which one is the brown algae, i can never remember? anyways, i have it all over my tank =/

what are ways to get rid of it? already using RO/DI water, but at first i used tap water *doh*

Old 09-03-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

the brown algae are Diatomes. Patience, and perhaps a few cerith snails are what I hear is best. (did I get the snails right?)

keep a close eye on your water quality as well. what were your latest test levels?

Old 09-03-2003, 06:09 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If your tank is relatively a new setup, you can expect a session or two of diatom bloom, it is all part of the process.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yep, its only a few months old. guess ill just have to buy some more snails and wait it out =)

ty muchly folks

ross
Old 09-06-2003, 04:35 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I too had a massive bloom, I had all this nice pretty bright white Substrate, then came home from work and it was a little brown. Came home the next day, and it was BROWN! Everything was brown... Even the brown stuff had brown stuff on it So, I did what any person new the wonderful hobby of marine fish keeping would do, I shouted profanity while freaking out about my tank. I then calmed down a bit upon reading somewhere(I think here) that it was normal, but I was still dubious, I mean, DANG, There was a buttload( <- I think thats a Metric measurement) of this brown stuff everywhere. about 4 or 5 days ago, it started to die off and continues to do so as my counts get closer to zero. I picked up a couple (ok, 6) small crabs and 5 turbo snails so far for it and they are gradually getting things further under control.

Peace,
Zero

Why Settle For The Lesser Evil! Vote Cthulhu!

Live in Nevada? Visit the Nevada Regional Forum at http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewfo...dcb6a37297e562
CountZero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diatom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com