diatomes/detrius

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
which one is the brown algae, i can never remember? anyways, i have it all over my tank =/

what are ways to get rid of it? already using RO/DI water, but at first i used tap water *doh*

the brown algae are Diatomes. Patience, and perhaps a few cerith snails are what I hear is best. (did I get the snails right?)

keep a close eye on your water quality as well. what were your latest test levels?

If your tank is relatively a new setup, you can expect a session or two of diatom bloom, it is all part of the process.

yep, its only a few months old. guess ill just have to buy some more snails and wait it out =)

ty muchly folks

ross

I too had a massive bloom, I had all this nice pretty bright white Substrate, then came home from work and it was a little brown. Came home the next day, and it was BROWN! Everything was brown... Even the brown stuff had brown stuff on it :wink: So, I did what any person new the wonderful hobby of marine fish keeping would do, I shouted profanity while freaking out about my tank. I then calmed down a bit upon reading somewhere(I think here) that it was normal, but I was still dubious, I mean, DANG, There was a buttload( <- I think thats a Metric measurement) of this brown stuff everywhere. about 4 or 5 days ago, it started to die off and continues to do so as my counts get closer to zero. I picked up a couple (ok, 6) small crabs and 5 turbo snails so far for it and they are gradually getting things further under control.

Peace, 0X
Zero

Back
Top Bottom