diatoms?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FDshoes

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok I have a 180 g tank it has been running for abt 2 months it has about 250lbs of lr maybe more not sure prob abt 150 lbs came from my 90 g when I upgraded and the 90 was running for about 3.5 yrs and the other 100 was base rocked that I cured for abt 5 months prior to the set up of my 180. With this upgrade I shouldn't have seen a cycle and I didn't my numbers are as follow:
Nitites 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrates below 5 ppm almost 0
Calcium 320(I know a little low I am dosing now)
pH 8.1
Salt 1.024

About 3 or 4 days ago I saw an outbreak of diatoms and I can't figure out y. Any thoughts or advice how to fight them? The are even starting to choke out the few corals I have.

I did a water change as soon as I started to see them and I am about to do another one in abt an hr or so.

Also my temp is kept at 78°

I have fought hair algae and other prob algae but there was always an underlining cause for these prbs but this is the first outbreak since the upgrade. And there is nothing but RO/DI water. If someone has any reason for this it would be very appreciated because everything I have read online talks about the end of cycling as the prominent cause and that isn't the case.

I hear that settin up a new tank will set off a cycle no matter what. Some say diatoms fees off silica leaching off new tank glass this could be the issue. Good thing is of you keep at it diatom blooms usually go away in a little while, you jist have to look at iy till it does...

I have a 24g that has been set up for over a year, every time I stir the substrate (by moving rocks etc.) I get it too. Idk why it does that, but it goes away eventually

I just up graded from a 45 hex front corner tank to a 54 bow front corner tank about 3 months ago. The original system had been running for just over a year. I re-used the same sand bed, live rock and water. I made the entire switch in less than an hour but, I still had a mini cycle of some sort which included the loss of half my pulsing Xenia colony, depressed corals and a month long diatom problem. Only within the last week or so have I seen my corals fully expand with new growth and diatom blooms subside. I think what you are experiencing is pretty normal. Just keep up regular water changes using your RODI water and I'm sure the diatoms will run their cycle and disappear.

I certainly hope so cause they look like poo and really are choking some of my corals. Hopefully like everyone said they stop cause the numbers are staying good and im keeping up on water changes but these are making them take a lot longer cuz I have so much more clean up to do.

The only good note is that the fish all still look extremly healthy.

When had my major diatom bloom I'd blow them off the coral with a turkey baster and let them get filtered out of the water. I washed out my filters every second day and just kept on top of it. Luckly diatoms are very natural and the ocean is full of them. They are why the sky is blue! They shouldn't hurt your fish if they are suspended in the water.

Back
Top Bottom