Diatoms??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bkushy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Rocks were covered in brown which I believe were diatoms. They are now turning white like this. Is this die off from the diatoms?? Also have a film on top of my water. Any recommendations??

Attachments

• image-1396296553.jpg
    image-1396296553.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 101
  • image-2543044323.jpg
    image-2543044323.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 98
Rocks were covered in brown which I believe were diatoms. They are now turning white like this. Is this die off from the diatoms?? Also have a film on top of my water. Any recommendations??

That's what it looks like to me also, For your surface water, lay a paper towel on it. My old nano use to have that problem also.

For the surface film you see. I take care of mine by placing powerheads pointed at the surface this will break up the film and put it into the water column to be filtered out....

Thanks guys. Any suggestions for the white on the rocks now. Do I clean it or will it cover itself with good algae now thy the diatoms are gone.

I would keep up good maint...with water changes. Keep track of water parameters which most lfs will test all but phosphates and calcium for no charge but you can buy a phosphate and calcium test kit. keep them in range and let the cycle take place.... What type of lighting do you have and what is your lighting schedule and Do you have any fish in tank?

My parameters are good except nitrates. 15-20. I purchased a complete system from a guy and I believe by using the existing substrate I have started the cycle again. I have a blue neon damsel, two clowns, sailfin tang, lawn mower blenny and a blue green chromis. Lights are a six bulb t5ho setup and I have my moon lights on from 11 am to midnight. Actinic from 12-10 and full lighting is from 1-9. I have added a hydor koralia smartwave controller with one 1050gph head and one 550 gph head and an rp3 wet dry filter which has an overflow box which skims the surface. Hopefully this gives everyone a good idea of what is going on in the system and if I should be doing anything or if it is running a natural course and this white will be covered with a good algae in time. Thanks for all of your help.

Back
Top Bottom