Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

misterT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again everybody :) I recently set up a saltwater aquarium about a month ago. Everything has been going great! But all if a sudden diatoms have taken over! They are everywhere! I was wondering if i should do anything about it and if it is common when going through the cycling process?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Its a normal stage to go thru during cycling just leave it be and they will go away :)

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok thanks how long until they are gone?

Mine went pretty quick I cant remember for sure tho my snails helped get rid of em

I dont have any snails in my tank. What kind do you have?

I just had turbos and astrea snails but make sure your cycled first

I tested yesterday an my ammonia and my notrites were at 0 so does that mean im done cycling?

Add an ammonia source and see if the levels got down over night how long have you cycled for

It has been cying for over a month and two clowns in the tank for avout two weeks

Okay thanks

Yep, just have to wait out the diatoms. I've had them last months and sometimes just days so it kinda just depends on the length of time. just keep up with your water changes and dont overfeed and it should all just fade away.

You can check out I think cerith snails or astrea snails, I think they both eat diatoms but they should fade on their own. You should only get critters that you like, not because of a "need" for them. :) remember they eat and poop too so they can add to the bioload.

Back
Top Bottom