Diatoms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
From what you are describing it's cyano. I went through the same thing. It would start out dusty on the sand bed and by the afternoon, it would be long and stringy. I thought it was dino's, but it wasn't. I ditched my MP 40's and went with a Gyre 150. It went away in two days.

So flow might be an issue? I have enough flow for about 10x the tank capacity (80G) I guess this will stop it from latching on? I'll give it a few more days and might have to get some algae x. I have charts in the sump so read online that you have to remove it for this stuff coz it'll kill it off?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

You have to remove all algae cheato ect as it will slaughter it any algae that is present in your system including any hair algae will also be killed of you will also need to skim wet.

I would not use any of that algae remover. If it's cyano, you can try chemiclean, but you MUST follow the directions to a "T". I would try doing a big water change and adding more flow.

As above you need to make sure you know what you are treating 100% before you go whacking chemicals in

I am pretty sure it's dinos now ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445794823.111916.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445794863.303912.jpg ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445794907.294643.jpg hopefully these pics will confirm for someone to tell me what it definitely is? As you can see its strangling my Xenia I blow off with a turkey baster daily.

100% cyano. Looked like my tank, which is why I thought it was dino's. I did water changes every day for a week and then added a Gyre 150. It went away in two days.

I take that back. The sandbed is 100 cyano, the rocks and coral could very well be dino's. My advice would be to either add a lot more flow to see if goes away, or try a dose of chemiclean. If it starts disappearing off the rock, then it's obviously cyano.

I did mention dinoflagellate it's a pain to get rid of I had it and beat it but not without loosing a few corals. If yours looks like this it's dino

img_3297731_0_875aa23dbf61e02160961a89bc987eab.jpg

I tried the natural route of trying to let it burn out lost a 21 head duncan and the one pictured and a torch even sucking the stuff off them it was litually strangling the corals :(

I used algae x and it slaughtered it the only down side is if you have shrimps it is likely to kill them as it did mine so I would say remove any shrimp if you have them my crabs, anenomie and fish remained unharmed
As already said :)

After my 2 day blackout it vanished from my dt and grouped in my sump like cobwebs. So plan of attack is to add more flow and chemiclean?

Dinoflagellate requires light that's why it vanished from DT then come back once lights where put back on

I added another 3200lh powerhead last night slight improvement but not great

Since my first post I've added 4700lph extra to the tank almost doubling the flow however brown stuff remains although it's not growing over the corals now does anyone know what this is as can be either dino or cyano?

I see your issue as simple, nutrients. You need to remove as much of what is plaguing your tank during water changes while you are getting the nutrient levels under control. Good ro/di water for top offs and water changes along with cutting back on feedings will go a long way.

I see your issue as simple, nutrients. You need to remove as much of what is plaguing your tank during water changes while you are getting the nutrient levels under control. Good ro/di water for top offs and water changes along with cutting back on feedings will go a long way.

I have always used ro/di for top offs. I currently give my fish 1 cube of either mysis or shrimp or pinch of flakes once a day with nori every other day. Is this too much? I also use phosphate removal pads in the sump for the water to filter through is it worth getting a reactor?

You are feeding too much. I feed my reef tank every three days. Of the 5 fish, I give maybe a third of a cube of mysis.
I think reactors are always worth it when things are going out of whack in terms of water changes not being able to manage things...BUT this issue can be managed by cutting back on feedings and large water changes.

Get a pellet reactor it will help but not strait away can take like 6 weeks for it to kick in

Back
Top Bottom