Diatoms!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might consider running some GFO. If organics are in the water, algae will take advantage of it. GFO ties those organics up chemically so it starves out the algae after a while. I don't think you are overfeeding. Your just under filtrating IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Get a pellet reactor it will help but not strait away can take like 6 weeks for it to kick in

I have found that in some cases the carbon added by pellets or alcohol can cause cyano bacteria blooms as well as support useful bacterias. I now use white vinegar as the acetate it provides is less likely to grow cyano.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a fuge in the sump with a big ball of cheato will the cheato not out compete the brown stuff?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm guessing this is all coming from the new sand I added and it's eating the new addition of nutrients from that....

Final pic before the assault commences tomorrow

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1446224019.437892.jpg

Dinos or cyano that is the question

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1447269901.456154.jpg

So on the 4th treatment of dino x and looking about 70% dinos gone I am using 2x 200micron sock on the sump outlet pipe and swapping every few days. Water tests seem to have not changed at all. Corals are looking a lot more expanded and open and not strangled as much

So followed treatment for 6 doses and a large water change but I still have dinos on the sand and it seems to be starting to grow on the rocks again. I am starting to loose the love! do I need to remove the sand bed? Where do you think my extra nutrients are coming from as I have cut down to feeding every 3 days now. Unless I go FOWLR and give up with coral or am I being to impatient

So followed treatment for 6 doses and a large water change but I still have dinos on the sand and it seems to be starting to grow on the rocks again. I am starting to loose the love! do I need to remove the sand bed? Where do you think my extra nutrients are coming from as I have cut down to feeding every 3 days now. Unless I go FOWLR and give up with coral or am I being to impatient

I'm also dealing with dinos currently.
From some of the stuff I read it seems one problem dealing with them is that they are the same type/family of algae that live in coral/anemone tissues, so any treatments may can also impact corals.
I've lost all my stony coral because of it and some zoas. Trying for a few days of low/no light and see if that makes a difference.

Honestly I read many methods of dealing with it, many of them conflicting and none certain to fix the problem, but I don't think nutrient levels in water are the primary issue with dinos' , but as I said, I saw lots of conflicting info and I'm still left guessing about how to deal with them. :banghead:

I'm also dealing with dinos currently.
From some of the stuff I read it seems one problem dealing with them is that they are the same type/family of algae that live in coral/anemone tissues, so any treatments may can also impact corals.
I've lost all my stony coral because of it and some zoas. Trying for a few days of low/no light and see if that makes a difference.

Honestly I read many methods of dealing with it, many of them conflicting and none certain to fix the problem, but I don't think nutrient levels in water are the primary issue with dinos' , but as I said, I saw lots of conflicting info and I'm still left guessing about how to deal with them. :banghead:

I've just finished a 3day blackout with a sheet covering the DT ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1448650209.521332.jpg I did read a thread that someone uses 3 day blackouts every month or so to kill off "unsightly" algae. Not every day is bright sunshine in the Caribbean ? still treating with dino x apparently it take a good 10 doses to start improving in bad cases

Completed the max doses with dino x did a large water change still had a few stringy bits remaining so I did another 2 day blackout and my filter sock took a lot of the rest out I think I'm back on top of it again it's takes a few days to appear... Any ideas to keep it away? Large water changes I guess?

Back
Top Bottom