Diatoms after adding LEDs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In my humble opinion, I would look at some other things before blaming the lights right off. Diatoms are a bit different than other algaes as it composes its outer shell out of silica. A source of selenium from silica sand, certain salt mixes and even some water sources can contain silicates. Purigen can reduce selenium amounts and has worked well for me.

Stiring the sand bed can also release silicates. Aragonite has a very low silica count. While other sands have a high amount in them. Don't get silicates confused with silicon like in the seals of a glass tank. I have heard those that say silicon seals leak silicates into the water, but I personally don't believe that.

Last edited:
I have the crushed coral/shells sand. It started about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what salt mix it is. But since I do buy my water from a lfs it could be something they are using. My lvls are nitrates 5 ph 8.2-8.4 no trites or ammonium. Not sure about phosphates. Don't have a test for that and I'm using API test kits(I plan on getting a better kit soon)

I have the crushed coral/shells sand. It started about 2 weeks ago. Not sure what salt mix it is. But since I do buy my water from a lfs it could be something they are using. My lvls are nitrates 5 ph 8.2-8.4 no trites or ammonium. Not sure about phosphates. Don't have a test for that and I'm using API test kits(I plan on getting a better kit soon)

You might get a small bottle of Purigen and place it in a high flow area in your system using a mesh bag. I love my Hanna test kits, especially the phosphate one. $50

You want phosphates below .1ppm for corals. That's not easy to see on a color card type test. Hanna does a deluxe job with consistently giving accurate data at those low levels.

Nothing other then my normal water changes. I was told be some people they its normal when upgrading lights and they would run their course. But others have told me the opposite.

I added a Chinese Algea Eater to my 36 G tank, and he's having a big feast on the diatoms :) Cleaning the rocks pretty after only one day (y)

I messed up when I bought my tank buy using the sand that came with it. It gave me a lot of problems at first so I'm in the habit of keeping a close eye on everything I can

Back
Top Bottom