Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater Reef Aquaria
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-11-2012, 12:39 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

Theres not chemipure either. But the reason we use these is products to replicate ocean parameters in a tank.
My point wasn't that it isn't in the ocean so we shouldn't use it, that would be a little ridiculous.
It was that you can't compare the two whatsoever. Were truly not trying to duplicate nature, we're trying to jam our tanks with colorful things that are amazing to us. That's not a bad thing at all, but they can't be compared. I do understand that reactors are great to have, but
to say that they are necessary for a tank to have an ecosystem.. No way. What is the difference between the gfo in a reactor and the gfo in chemipure? I'd say less, Theres no difference in actual chemistry. Chemipure has the gfo mixed in with other things to prevent it from clumping. What do people do that run reactors? They add carbon to keep it from clumping, therefore prolonging the time you can use it. If you put chemipure in a reactor, I think it might even be more effective than gfo. The only difference is there is less.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

My point wasn't that it isn't in the ocean so we shouldn't use it, that would be a little ridiculous.
It was that you can't compare the two whatsoever. Were truly not trying to duplicate nature, we're trying to jam our tanks with colorful things that are amazing to us. That's not a bad thing at all, but they can't be compared. I do understand that reactors are great to have, but
to say that they are necessary for a tank to have an ecosystem.. No way. What is the difference between the gfo in a reactor and the gfo in chemipure? I'd say less, Theres no difference in actual chemistry. Chemipure has the gfo mixed in with other things to prevent it from clumping. What do people do that run reactors? They add carbon to keep it from clumping, therefore prolonging the time you can use it. If you put chemipure in a reactor, I think it might even be more effective than gfo. The only difference is there is less.
I never stated a reactor was necessary. I simply said chemipure is not a replacement for GFO. Gfo is far more efficient at removing phosphates than chemipure and they each have their place but neither one will do the job of the other.

Old 08-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

True but reactors are more effective and consistent which will help keep things more measurable and save you money since its more efficient on the media being used. Imo the benefit of one is worth the initial cost, especially if you can find a used one on CL or something which jerry still got one more brs reactor with mj 1200 for $40 Adam just something to think about lol
Old 08-11-2012, 01:01 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism

I never stated a reactor was necessary. I simply said chemipure is not a replacement for GFO. Gfo is far more efficient at removing phosphates than chemipure and they each have their place but neither one will do the job of the other.
Sorry, I read the post wrong, I was talking about the post I originally quoted where I said is it in the ocean. I dont know all of chemipure's ingredients so I wouldn't really be able to argue that.
Old 08-11-2012, 01:10 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858

True but reactors are more effective and consistent which will help keep things more measurable and save you money since its more efficient on the media being used. Imo the benefit of one is worth the initial cost, especially if you can find a used one on CL or something which jerry still got one more brs reactor with mj 1200 for $40 Adam just something to think about lol
Yeah, your right.. And im really hoping I can go, but if I go, I'm going with way more than 40$, gotta get some corals while in there

Tags
algae, bacteria, cyano, cyanobacteria, diatom, diatoms

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com