Diatoms at 8 months?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skidog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My tank is 8 months mature and out of the blue I get a diatom outbreak on the sand. All water params are great. I removed a yellow filter sponge that I left in too long in my wet/dry and replaced it with a new one. I do RO/DI h2o changes weekly. Any thoughts? So far I've just rode it out. Almost like my tank did a little mini-cycle.

Skidog said:
My tank is 8 months mature and out of the blue I get a diatom outbreak on the sand. All water params are great. I removed a yellow filter sponge that I left in too long in my wet/dry and replaced it with a new one. I do RO/DI h2o changes weekly. Any thoughts? So far I've just rode it out. Almost like my tank did a little mini-cycle.

I'm still new at the whole SW thing but I've done a lot of reading before I even started , and I have read that this can happen , have you added a significant amount of fish or live rock recently ? That could cause your tank to go though a cycling process, even after it is established.

My reef is almost 20 years old and I still get occasional small patches of diatoms and red algae. So does the real reef. In my case it is because I choose to have tons of coral and very fat fish. When I get sick of it, I polish the water with something like Polysorb and make sure my RO/DI filter is working. City water has selenium In it and my understanding is that can promote diatom growth.

One note, I have noticed that coral that is healthy rarely has any algae of any kind on it. But if polyps get sick they get covered fast.

Back
Top Bottom