Diatoms keep coming back :/

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
westy101 said:
Any ideas please ?

How long has the tank been set up? How long do you have your lights on? And do you use faucet water?

6-8 months roughly and already had diatoms got rid of them but they keep coming back and Bremen ever have my lights on

Are you using faucet water?????

Or did you move the sand bed around????

If not you can be over feeding.

My water is RO/DI saltwater from the store it's not by a window and I have been moving the sand bed yesh ?

Well if you have live sand it's not good move the san bed as the bacteria in the sand creates waste that looks like air bubbles ( I for got the name but I'll get it for you) , in it's own time it gets let out naturally......but by you moving the sand bed you are releasing all that nutriment , creating a mini cycle.

DA fisherman said:
Well if you have live sand, it's not a good move. the sand bed has bacteria in the sand that creates waste that looks like air bubbles ( I for got the name but I'll get it for you) , in it's own time it gets let out naturally......but by you moving the sand bed you are releasing all that nutriment , creating a mini cycle.
Some spell check lol

Oh right but does this mean I can't syphon the waste of the sand bed ?

There is all sorts of things that can cause diatoms, even if the temperature varies to much over 24 hours. Do you have anything that stirs your sand bed?

westy101 said:
Oh right but does this mean I can't syphon the waste of the sand bed ?

Well I've heard of people who do it but I personally don't .... I try and not disturb my tank unless I'm putting in some new corals ..... I try and get livestock that has purposes..... "yellow sleeper head goby" shifts the sand for me, and the bacteria in the sand will take care of the rest in do time...... Clean up crew also helps out.

I found a vid on the Internet and it says to lightly stir up the sand bed then let the depree set on top of the sand then syphon off ?

Back
Top Bottom