Dictyota algae problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaybird

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so I've been away for a bit and I come back to find that my tank is having a serious problem with dictyota macro algae. The stuff is encrusting all three powerheads, the glass near one power head, and there are parts starting to encrust some of the rocks.

Anyone know of something that eats this stuff?

The best thing to do is manually remove what you can. The powerheads can be removed and soaked to kill the algae. I suggest a 10% bleach solution to kill it. Make sure to rinse and rinse and re-rinse before putting the PHs back in the tank.

This is one of those macros that is tough to get rid of but somewhat easy to control by manual removal.

The stuff really seems to grow mostly on the upper parts of the tank rocks (and glass) where it gets the highest concentration of light. Soaking the power heads is a good idea. I could probably do them one at a time. Right now I take them out and scrape them clean with a razor. The encrusts on the rocks and then becomes kind of like wool as it gets thicker and stretches into open spaces.

I've been recommended a naso tang, but I'm not even sure that would eat this stuff.

I tried to get some pictures but the stuff is dark and the only big pieces are spongy and none photography well. A google of dictyota will show some pictures.

Manual removal is the best idea. Adding a tang that gets very large to your system is not a great idea. I would forgo the tang and just keep on top of it as best you can.

I have been doing manual remove so far and it's not working. The problem with manual removal is that if even the tiniest little bit gets away from you it will attach somewhere and start all over again.

The stuff is worse than hair algae. It doesn't need nutrients like other macros and you can have pristine water and it will still grow.

Adding a fish will cause the same thing to happen. They aren't the neatest eaters. Manual removal is your best option, unless you want to take the affected rocks out and bleach them.

True about the fish causing it to spread as well.

I was also thinking about a foxface. They have been known to eat it as well, but not as regularly as the naso.

I'm wondering if I could 'rent' a naso from someone in the area :)

Adding a fish will cause the same thing to happen. They aren't the neatest eaters. Manual removal is your best option, unless you want to take the affected rocks out and bleach them.

it's a 90G. I have a very low bio load. That's why the algae thing is a real pain. Everyone always mentions to keep your nitrates down but I have always had zero. Some will say that is because the algae is consuming it. Not really. The chaeto in my refuge is consuming it.

I've got a 90G display tank with a 30G sump and a 10G refuge. As for livestock: 1 six-line wrasse, 1 blue tang, 1 perc, 1 yellow watchman, 1 blue-streak damselfish

I would say that all the macro algae in your system is consuming it both in the fuge and in the DT.

Have you tested for phosphates? What about silicates?

I have tested for phospates and it shows up as zero. I have no test for silicates.

thincat: thanks for the article. The stuff I have is similar to that in the pictures. Not quite the same, but as they mention: there are over 70 different kinds.

I have done some other reading on it and unlike other algae, like hair algae, this stuff can grow in pristine water conditions as well.

Someone recently mentioned long-spined urchins might eat it...but might not. Same answer that I got for the fox-face as well.

what about turbosnails to help. i have some in my tankand they just chow the daylights outta any algea in my tank
Scott

Do you have corals? If not kill your lights untill its gone and if you do have corals you can still shut your lights down for a couple days at a time and It should help slow the stuff down until you figure out a solution.

That would be easy. Yes, I have corals. I have some great yumas, goniporas, and some cool aussie corals. So, a blackout like that is not an option....sadly

Do you have corals? If not kill your lights untill its gone and if you do have corals you can still shut your lights down for a couple days at a time and It should help slow the stuff down until you figure out a solution.

Back
Top Bottom