did I use the wrong sand from HD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

copi

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been reading through the playsand discussions again and now wonder if I used the wrong sand...

I purchased a bag from HD some time ago... the packaging is long gone but maybe I can describe it well enough. It was in the garden department, a blue and red bag with a boy in overalls. It specifically said not for use in aquariums, but I thought I read that this was some type of contractual obligation or such. I can't remember the name of the product.

Does anyone recognize my description of the bag? Was this the right type of sand? The whole bag is in the aquarium now...

Thanks!

that does sound like the right stuff.. your right, that is because of that contract stuff so they just label it that way.... i think i have seen pics of that sand before on this fourm some where, sounds like the right stuff.... im using quikrete myself

i dont mind it but you should send me a few bags of that stuff for free anyways =)

WooHoo said:
copi. Try this thread. Hope it helps answer your question. :)

Yes this is one of the threads that I was reading that got me thinking about this subject again. However the sand I am describing came from HD, not WalMart or Kmart, and is not any of those described in the thread you linked.

I did not want to hijack that thread and take it off in another direction, so I posted my question as a new thread.

They have the same brand at my local home depot. I gave it the vinegar test and it did nothing. I had my fingers crossed because I wanted some too.

Brenden said:
They have the same brand at my local home depot. I gave it the vinegar test and it did nothing. I had my fingers crossed because I wanted some too.

Ugh, so what damage have I done to my system by using this sand everybody?

copi said:
Brenden said:

Ugh, so what damage have I done to my system by using this sand everybody?

Probably none, the silica sand just has sharp edges on the sand and will might cut inverts such as snails that go across them. You also won't have the buffering benefits of using argonite bases sand.

You got the right stuff... HD sold the original South Down bags that had the boy on them... I still have a few bags in my garage.

Cartoon boy wearing red coveralls with his hands on his hips,,, red pail and shovel are above him in the center of the bag.... It says South Down at the top of the bag

seaham358 said:
Cartoon boy wearing red coveralls with his hands on his hips,,, red pail and shovel are above him in the center of the bag.... It says South Down at the top of the bag

I did a google image search on south down and came up with the image below. This is not the same bag that I had, but I suspect that it must be the same sand because the bag was very similar. On mine, the same cartoon boy in the same cartoon outfit was featured larger and in the center of the bag... the white box above was absent and the boy was holding both a shovel and pail. Hopefully one or the other is just an updated design.

I've noticed that the grain size is extremely small... kicks up lots of dust when disturbed (unrelated to my other post about keeping LR clean, however).

Attachments

• southdown.jpg
    southdown.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 35
Back
Top Bottom