Did my carpet nem just eat my emerald crab?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spoonman

Aquarium Advice Addict
My emerald was on the sandbed and grabbed the edge of the carpet nem. Within seconds, the nem pulled in the crab and wrapped himself around it.

image-2028639904.jpg

Just before

image-3864573183.jpg

image-3355173103.jpg

After. Would he really eat the crab?????

Yep. They will eat almost anything that comes in contact with their tentacles. Mine has even eaten starfish

They will usually spit it up. Atleast when mine has eaten some of my fish and the starfish he always spits up the head so i imagen he will spit up the shell

Wow. That's... really cool. And I'm kind of biased against emeralds, so I wouldn't consider that a huge loss. But that's just me.

Can't say I'm really gonna miss him either. Had to take him out of my 29 cuz he was grabbing the corals. Guess he got his!

Ya, I know it's a death in the tank. Pretty cool though. Happened while I was watching. Wish I would have thought to video it!

I feel ashamed but i lol'd wen i seen the puke pics. Ive had my experiences with coral picking emeralds as well so yeah e got his alright.

Cool thing to witness though.

Now if only I could get something in my tank to eat the little emerald that hitched in on a piece of rock... The little jerk crawls up into my Birdsnest coral at night sometimes and I am SURE he is picking at it!

Now if only I could get something in my tank to eat the little emerald that hitched in on a piece of rock... The little jerk crawls up into my Birdsnest coral at night sometimes and I am SURE he is picking at it!

I caught this one in my 29 gallon and put him in the 75 to combat some bubble algae. I just put some food in the bottom of a pint glass and leaned it against the rocks. The crab went for the food and slipped down into the glass and couldnt crawl out.

spoonman said:
Ya, I know it's a death in the tank. Pretty cool though. Happened while I was watching. Wish I would have thought to video it!

That would have been awesome. I like the look of the emeralds crabs , but I like my Zoa's more !

Back
Top Bottom