Did my little Angel give in to the dark side???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Doan

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys the saga of my tank took a very interesting twist today and i need to know what it looks like when a good angel goes bad?? My wife just called me from the house and gave me some very bad news.. Well first with the good news the Blue Tang looks amazing my parnoya over his ich seems to be unfounded as I was not really sure of what I was looking at anyway..

Now onto my little Angel he is a Flame Angel and has given me no trouble with my coral to this point till I recently got a Anthelia. Well the rock he came on had two little sprouts on it that did not make it but I assuemed that perhaps as they were so tiny that they just couldn't handle the move or what ever and for about 5 days the main larger stalks have looked great.. Till last night it seemed like almost half the stalk was gone overnight.. and about half of it was dead well I did all the water testes everything checked out and I thought perhaps it was the emerald crab or the angel although I have never seen him within 4 inches of the thing and he has never given my bubble coral any problems.. The other wierd part seemed to be that the damage was on the stalk right where the polyups sprouted from. The individual polyups were not damaged at all on the tops.. But perhaps this is due to the fact these polyops used to close up at night and that is when these attacks occur. So I put him up almost to the top of the tank on top of a powerhead so the crab couldn't get to him.. Well our tank lights pop on about 1pm and she called saying the head is hanging by a thread off of the sprout which is just kinda dangeling off of the rock on top of the powerhead..My question is does this sound like an attack or did my coral just suddenly decide to rid itself of it's top half...I guess what I am asking is will this coral just suddenly and I am talking 48 hours just deteroiate to the point that the top falls off? I guess I expected a more gradual recession if it was not doing well but having problems with coral is new to me.. So I don't know if things go bad does it go this south this fast?? Ok just to help you cover all the bases there are 4 things in my tank which could have gotten to him on that powerhead last night.. Flame Angel, Hippo Tang, Skunk cleaner, and a blood red cleaner. I think I know the answer to this question but I felt I have to ask.. It's like a little fishy court marshal. This is gonna call for some big decision making on our part if you guys tell me what i think your gonna tell me.. I like coral but the wife loves that fish...It was Our first... Does this sound like an attack to me common sense screams it but then agian I have been wrong about stuff before..

Doan

The wife wanted to ask since the bubble coral has been fine that perhaps he only likes specific coral like the Anthelia or Xenia and perhaps we could get away with other types...

Doan

I"m not sure about the answer to your question but I do know most of the angels including the flame are prone to nip at corals. I do no think they like all corals, just certain ones.

Angels are typically fond of LPS and certain soft corals but Xenia and similar species are like candy to these guys. They will eat it PDQ as a rule... :?

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom